new hot tub owner- a few chemical quesitons...

Jim H

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2015
Monroe/NJ
Getting a hot tub from Costco next week- assumed maintaining was the same as my pool but reading the sticky there seems to be a few differences. I have a few questions about possible alternatives:
1) are there any issues with using liquid muriatic acid in a hot tob instead of dry acid? This is what I use for my pool and don't want to have to buy a separate acid for hot tub.
2) Rather than buying dichlor to raise the CYA and then switching to liquid bleach, can I simply start with bleach and just add the CYA separately since I already have it for my pool? Would I just dump it right in the hot tub. With the pool you put it in the skimmer but since I assume I'll need a lot less for the hot tub I just throw it in the water?

Thanks!

There are no issues with using muriatic acid, in fact it's preferred.

CYA can be added separately. I'm not sure on just throwing it in there, I imagine like a pool you don't want to do that. My guess is spas recommend dichlor cause it's easy to get in small quantities and dissolves fast.

I tie the top of it around the headrest, leaving the bottom portion with the cya in the water. Alternatively, you can tie the top around a pool pole, broom handle, ect..., resting the pole on the top of the spa so the filled portion of the sock hangs in the water.

Personally, after a drain, purge and refill, I first add metal magic while still filling(well water with iron). After it is completely full I adjust alkalinity by adding acid to bring the ph down to 7.2 the all jets and blowers on until it raises to 8.0. I keep repeating that until the alkalinity is at 50 and the ph is back up to 7.4. I will then add all of the cya to bring it to 30...measured per pool math. It only takes a few minutes to dissolve in the warm turbulent water if you squeeze it often. After that I add liquid chlorine to 10. I personally then add 50ppm of borates. Seems to keep my ph at a solid 7.4 to 7.6 even with use by two people 3 to 4 times a week for 1 to 2 hours per soak with everything on high. I usually only have to add a total of 2 to 3 ounces of acid per water change every 4 or so months. Just as a side note..I do keep the CL between 4 and 7...pretty much 2 oz every other day if the tub is unused, if it is used 2 to 4 ounces immediately after soaking and 2 ounces the following day. Also, call us gross, but we do not shower before our soaks, it is just not at all convenient! Hope this helps!

I have another question: can I use liquid stabilizer instead of dry CYA? It's not cost effective for a large pool but I imagine a gallon of the stuff will go a long way for the hot tub and be a lot easier to add.

Personally, after a drain, purge and refill, I first add metal magic while still filling(well water with iron). After it is completely full I adjust alkalinity by adding acid to bring the ph down to 7.2 the all jets and blowers on until it raises to 8.0. I keep repeating that until the alkalinity is at 50 and the ph is back up to 7.4. I will then add all of the cya to bring it to 30...measured per pool math. It only takes a few minutes to dissolve in the warm turbulent water if you squeeze it often. After that I add liquid chlorine to 10. I personally then add 50ppm of borates. Seems to keep my ph at a solid 7.4 to 7.6 even with use by two people 3 to 4 times a week for 1 to 2 hours per soak with everything on high. I usually only have to add a total of 2 to 3 ounces of acid per water change every 4 or so months. Just as a side note..I do keep the CL between 4 and 7...pretty much 2 oz every other day if the tub is unused, if it is used 2 to 4 ounces immediately after soaking and 2 ounces the following day. Also, call us gross, but we do not shower before our soaks, it is just not at all convenient! Hope this helps!

Extremely helpful write-up! Thanks so much this is exactly what I will be doing tomorrow except for I don't have CYA. I may try to find some today

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have another question: can I use liquid stabilizer instead of dry CYA? It's not cost effective for a large pool but I imagine a gallon of the stuff will go a long way for the hot tub and be a lot easier to add.

You can. But, liquid CYA tends to separate in the bottle. So be sure you vigorously shake the bottle.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.