Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bulging and cracked walls at the deep end

1. Back To Top    #1

Bulging and cracked walls at the deep end

I have an in ground pool fiberglass that is bulging at the walls and leaking! I was given a bid that was cost prohibitive ($25,000.00). I have fiberglass experience and would like to know how to do the repair and fix the bulging. Any help would be greatly appreciated, also can I fix the damage now and recoat the pool at a later date?

Thanks Jim
    I have an in ground fiberglass pool, 16 feet wide and 34 feet long that is approximately 18000 gallons when Full. My equipment consist of sand filter, heat pump for a heater and a 1 1/2 horsepower variable pump that moves the water.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Bulging and cracked walls at the deep end

Welcome to the forum!

There have been some threads on similar repair jobs. It depends on what is pushing on the wall of the pool and the extent of the damage. Also the control of ground water when the pool is drained so that the shell does not pop out of the ground.

Do a search of the forum. Use the search box in the upper right.

If you are interested in learning more about TFPC, I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    CLICK HERE to Become a TroubleFreePool.com Supporter!! Pool Math App
    Marty

3. Back To Top    #3

Pics would be handy. You sig says 18K when full. Have you emptied this pool? Is it bulging in or bulging out.
    6000 gal inground fiberglass
    1.5hp pump / sand filter
    Liquidator

4. Back To Top    #4

It is 18000 gals full, I emptied the pool to repair a six inch crack and that’s when it started bulging and cracking. It bulges inward.
    I have an in ground fiberglass pool, 16 feet wide and 34 feet long that is approximately 18000 gallons when Full. My equipment consist of sand filter, heat pump for a heater and a 1 1/2 horsepower variable pump that moves the water.

5. Back To Top    #5

It is 18000 gals full, I emptied the pool to repair a six inch crack and thatís when it started bulging and cracking. It bulges inward.

- - - Updated - - -

47A71968-2535-484A-99E2-5ADB5BB78B82.jpg

6. Back To Top    #6

Draining a fiberglass pool if you have any amount of ground water is very problematic. Do you have a dry well to monitor your ground water near your pool? Did you use a pump to remove any ground water under the pool prior to draining?
    6000 Gallon IG Fiberglass with integrated Spa;Pentair CCP240 Cartridge Filter with Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump and HTR250 heater. IC40 SWG. EasyTouch 4. Dolphin Active20 Robot "Roadrunner", TF 100 Test Kit w/SpeedStir!
    Marty

7. Back To Top    #7

No I do not have a monitor, I was not aware there is a way to remove ground water until now. What type of pump would I need to purchase in order to remove the ground water and how do I go about doing it.

8. Back To Top    #8

If you are in an area with ground water, there should have been one or more wells drilled around the pool when installed. You put a sump pump down the wells to drain out the water.

I do not have to worry about that as I am in the desert. But I still do not drain my pool. If I need to exchange water I have a process to do that.

I would suggest you contact a pool builder or other pool professional on how to address this issue.
    Marty

9. Back To Top    #9

There are no wells or anything around the pool that a sump pump would fit into. When I drained the pool I used a sump pump along with the pump and put the filter valve in the waste water position. There is a tube that sticks approximately 15 inches above the pool directly behind the deep end. Thanks for your help I’ll contact someone today.