Sep 25, 2009
what impact does rain have on pool water. Our pool is still open and we've recieved just over an inch of ran in 2 days. The water level was a little low before the rain (intentionally b/c rain was coming). Does 1 " rain equal 1" increase in pool water level? What happens to the pH.

Does 1 " rain equal 1" increase in pool water level?
Yes.....unless your decking is sloped incorrectly and runoff water is allowed to enter the pool.

If you receive an inch of rain in a pool with an average depth of 4 feet, the chemistry will be diluted/changed by 1/48th......i.e. normal rain amounts have little to no effect.

Again, if runoff enters your pool, you have a problem that will seriously affect your pool chemistry and, likely, the quality of your water.

However, people have reported that the agitation of the pool surface from rainfall has a similar effect as aeration, and made their pH rise. I haven't observed this, but I have a solar cover so the rain doesn't really agitate the pool water. My rainwater is definitely acidic but I haven't noticed any particular pH drop, either.
--paulr

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.