Some noob questions

Aug 30, 2009
Thailand
We just finished starting up our new pool and i have a few questions:

is it possible to backwash too much? For example, is backwashing twice in one day too much? I know i should look at the pressure on the sandfilter, but sometimes i am leaving in the afternoon when the pump starts and i want to backwash just to be sure the system is ok for a 6h session.

when i vacuum, i know i should not get the hose over the water. But if i do this my mistake, how dangerous is it? i am trying to evaluate if the kids can vacuum sometimes.

Backwashing "too much" would only lead to excessive water use. I can't imagine an appropriately sized sand filter needing backwashed after 6 hours running unless the pool is an absolute mess. I backwashed mine 5 or 6 times this past summer other than after vacuuming, and most of those weren't needed, but were done while I was pumping excess rain water out of the pool.

If you lift the vac out of the water, the pump may lose prime or the vacuum hose may be emptied. Neither is a problem unless the pump is left running in that condition. If the kids know how to refill the vacuum hose and reprime the pump, you probably don't have to worry.

Charlize said:
I want to backwash just to be sure the system is ok for a 6h session
I think John answered your questions, but your reference to a '6h session' has me puzzled. Does this mean that you're concerned that the filter pressure will rise significantly in that time period?

Or perhaps you have caught that dreaded disease, sparklypoolitis? It commonly afflicts new pool owners and may initially present as a tendency to be methodical, careful or very thorough in the management of pool facilities and/or water testing and treatment. Disease progression is likely in patients with idealistic or perfectionist genes, some of whom develop obsessive traits that may include frequent testing of pool water; compulsive categorizing or display of supplies and equipment; involuntary outbursts and bombastic claims about water clarity and testing proficiency; and, in some patients, repeated vacuuming/backwashing--an attempt to foil atmospheric particles fallen into the water. Prognosis is indeterminate and varies with patient, but severe symptoms can be expected to subside over time. See also New Car syndrome. :mrgreen:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.