Aqua Logic Automation

eric99gt

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 14, 2009
Houston, TX
I'm hoping someone can help with some of my questions in regards to automation and control valves. To start, my setup. It's a pool/spa combo with a spillover in to the pool. When I moved in (recently purchased) they only had the pool and spa function active on the control system. So if the filter pump was running it was just sucking and returning to the pool with no flow through the spa unless I requested the control system to go to spa. Then it would just suck and return to the spa. This would leave me with the problem of always having to turn on the spa every once in awhile to filter the water in there. Since this time I've enabled the spillover function. This setting defaults the control valves in a position that sucks water from the pool and returns it to the spa.

My question is, is this a problem? Now there's no return in to the pool which I'm guessing doesn't circulate the water as well which may cause me issues. I'm not sure if just the action of sucking the water from the pool creates enough circulation. At least all the water is filtered now though. Any thoughts?

Could you post one or more pictures of your equipment pad and list the name and model for each piece of equipment ? E.g. Pentair main pump, Intellichlor controller ... xyz timer, etc.

Your setup sounds quite typical of new pool/spa combinations (such as mine.) If you provide a bit more info. we can help you reconfigure.

eric99gt said:
I'm hoping someone can help with some of my questions in regards to automation and control valves. To start, my setup. It's a pool/spa combo with a spillover in to the pool. When I moved in (recently purchased) they only had the pool and spa function active on the control system. So if the filter pump was running it was just sucking and returning to the pool with no flow through the spa unless I requested the control system to go to spa. Then it would just suck and return to the spa. This would leave me with the problem of always having to turn on the spa every once in awhile to filter the water in there. Since this time I've enabled the spillover function. This setting defaults the control valves in a position that sucks water from the pool and returns it to the spa.

My question is, is this a problem? Now there's no return in to the pool which I'm guessing doesn't circulate the water as well which may cause me issues. I'm not sure if just the action of sucking the water from the pool creates enough circulation. At least all the water is filtered now though. Any thoughts?

One of the downsides of the AquaLogic is that the older versions don't have a separate spillover timer. You have to set up the controller for either pool or spillover but it won't do a combo of both. I think the current version of software can do this but mine doesn't. The problem with spillover mode is that the skimmers don't work as well since the returns aren't moving the water around as much. Spillover mode is fine, the skimmers just won't as well.

Also, there should be a timer setting for spa only filtration. So you should be able to setup for pool during one period and spa during another period. Unfortunately, this doesn't replace the spa water, you need spillover for that, nor does it remove floating debris so this isn't a perfect solution either.

So what I did was create a separate relay, from Radio Shack, which reverses the return spa valve wires based upon a relay setting in the controller. This allows me to run in spillover mode for a short period of time and back to pool mode for the rest.

Thanks Mas. That may be my exact situation. Just some pictures of the setup to help. All Hayward equipment for the pumps. Valves are GVA-24 Goldline

PA110044.jpg

PA110045-1.jpg

PA110045.jpg

PA110046.jpg

PA110047.jpg

PA110048.jpg

PA110049.jpg

PA110050.jpg

Welcome to TFP!!

The way we set these up is to recam the actuators so that there is always some water going to the spa, for the spillover, and then be able to isolate the spa for spa only mode. If you don't have check valves, the spa will end up equalizing with the pool level when the system is off :|

If you need any help on recamming the actuators, I think it was Scott who had a great post on it, and I'll look it up and link it here for you :cool:

Waste. I think that would take care of my situation perfectly. I'm usually pretty good at searching for these things but I'm not having any luck here. Think you could post that link if you still have it handy or know some key words to search for? Also it may be a dumb question but how does the Aqua logic control adjust the valves to the proper position? Is it all based on the how the cams are set in the actuators?
Thanks much.

Remove the handle, remove the 4 smaller screws, remove the cover. There are two cams that activate micro switches. One for turning left, one for turning right. Adjust the cam positions as needed. Use the on board toggle switch as needed to test. Replace the cover and screws when done.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Thanks New. So just to be clear. When I press pool on my aqua logic control box it sets the valves based on the position of the cams in each control valve. When I press Spa it sets the valves to the second position (there's only 2 positions correct?) of the cams? So I'm thinking for pool mode have it set such that the suction is coming from the pool (controlled through one control valve) and the returns are going mostly to the pool with a bit to the spa (set with the second control valve). Then for the spa setting have the return valve set to go completely to the spa and the suction set to still suck from the pool?

With this said. When would the suction for the spa ever be used? Or maybe this should be used when in the spa only mode? This would allow for no spillover effect and would leave all heated water in the spa?

Also, how would any spillover function be any different from the spa setting?

Finally does anyone think they could help with identification of some of the valving above? The valve controlling the suction must be the one on the inlet to the pump. So I'm guessing the other valve near the heater determines where the water is returning to. What would the purpose of that 3rd manual valve be? If the control valve position sets where water is sucked from then why on one side of that suction would they have a manual valve?

Also, how do I determine which valve orientation controls suction to the pool vs suction to the spa?

Sorry for all the questions. I'm just trying to get a better handle of this whole pool thing. Some additional items of clarification/identification if anyone could help. What are the items circled in reds function? Also why is there a check valve on one side of the return control valve. Is this on the spa return lines so water does not equalize to the pool level?

PA110046-1.jpg

Could someone also check my understanding of this entire system. IE PFD

1. Water comes in to first control valve on the suction side of the pump
a. Depending on the orientation of that valve determines where water is sucked from

2. Water flows through the pump and in to the filter. From here it has two flow paths
a. Out to the returns
b. Out to backwash

3. If flowing to the returns. Water is directed through the heater and then to the second control valve. This determines where water is returned to.

Does this sound right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The valve on the output of the SWG is the return valve which will choose between spa and pool. That is the one that you would change the cam so some of the water "leaks" into the spa. Note that by changing the cam, water will always leak into the spa when in pool mode. Keep in mind that if you heat the spa up and then put the filter back into pool mode, cold water will be delivered into the nice warm spa. This may or may not be a problem for you but I like to have the ability to run the filter in pool mode while using the spa.

The valve on the input to the pump is for suction. The automated valve choses between the spa and pool suction ports. On the pool side suction there are two lines one of which goes to the skimmer and probably the other to the main drain. This valve allows you to control the flow from either suction port although most of the time you would want to leave both ports open as it current is.

The spigot in the picture is for draining some of the water but I'm not sure why they put it on the spa jet pump. It is usually put on the other main pump. The valve on that same pump simple shuts off the return although you should never do that while the pump is running. This may be used to control the strength of the jets.

Spa jet pump is separate from the main filtration and runs only the spa venturi jets much like your waterfall pump runs only the waterfall. A stand alone jet pump doesn't have the extra head loss of a filter, heater, swg and extra valves so they can produce more flow for a given size HP. Also, with a separate pump, the jets can be run independent of the filtration system so you can filter the pool while running the jets at the same time. Just a different way to setup a spa.

With your setup though, it sounds like adjusting the cams is your best bet since you have to run the filter pump anyway to get the jets to work.

Ok new issue on the deck. Went to start up the heater today to see if it works, placed the spa temp to 99 and expected ignition, it doesn't ignite. Immediately I get a check system error "spa sensor open". I start looking around and realize I didn't turn the heater on. But since this error pops up it seems to have locked out any control I have within the control panel. I place it in service mode and turn the heater on and set the spa temp to 99 and it seems to work. But if I go back in to the regular mode everything is now locked out with the "spa sensor open" error still showing. Any thoughts? I feel totally inadequate lately.

You would get that error only if the controller is setup for dual equipment and you don't have a second spa temperature sensor. This can be changed in the configuration menu.

Go to Configuration Menu press both < > buttons at the same time to unlock the menu.

Go to Pool/Spa Configuration and select Pool and Spa-STD (default).

That should fix the problem.

One of the downsides of the AquaLogic is that the older versions don't have a separate spillover timer. You have to set up the controller for either pool or spillover but it won't do a combo of both. I think the current version of software can do this but mine doesn't. The problem with spillover mode is that the skimmers don't work as well since the returns aren't moving the water around as much. Spillover mode is fine, the skimmers just won't as well.

Also, there should be a timer setting for spa only filtration. So you should be able to setup for pool during one period and spa during another period. Unfortunately, this doesn't replace the spa water, you need spillover for that, nor does it remove floating debris so this isn't a perfect solution either.

So what I did was create a separate relay, from Radio Shack, which reverses the return spa valve wires based upon a relay setting in the controller. This allows me to run in spillover mode for a short period of time and back to pool mode for the rest.

Hello!-

not being able to auto fill my spa with the aqua logic is driving me nuts. I like your relay solution. Could you share more of how you did this? Can I still control spill over with the remote/system normally too?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.