Can jets still return good water pressure if DE is clogged?

Nov 13, 2009
I have a small Hayward DE filter that hasn't been cleaned in over 1 year. but the jets are still pushing water.

I thought if the jets were not pushing water then the DE filter needs cleaning. but this filter has not been taken down and cleaned in over 1 year. although the company that cleans the pool now come twice a week. maybe they bump the filter every time they come.

polyvue said:
Regarding the frequency of cleaning/backwashing a filter, please read

Basic Pool Care Schedule

Hint: The schedule should depend less on your perception of water being pushed than on monitoring the device that measures the pounds per square inch of flow at the filter.

sorry I meant taking the filter apart and cleaning the tubes with acid and water. That hasn't been done in over 1 year and there is mustard yellow algae on the bottom that the other company said they can't get rid of and that it can not be gotten rid of no matter what.

sorry I meant taking the filter apart and cleaning the tubes with acid and water. That hasn't been done in over 1 year and there is mustard yellow algae on the bottom that the other company said they can't get rid of and that it can not be gotten rid of no matter what.
Yes. If I was having an algae problem of any kind, in addition to aggressive shocking and brushing I would be earnest in cleaning out the filter and any other potential repository of latent algae, most especially the filter. Now, I let my cartridge filter go a year between (breaking down and) cleaning because I don't have an algae problem and the PSI gauge never moves during that 12 months, and when I finally perform the cleaning there is very little accumulated dirt. That tells me that my once a year regimen is OK. A pool with algae is a different story. Would find it difficult to fathom that the PSI on a DE filter hasn't increased for a year in a troubled pool.

polyvue said:
Yes. If I was having an algae problem of any kind, in addition to aggressive shocking and brushing I would be earnest in cleaning out the filter and any other potential repository of latent algae, most especially the filter. Now, I let my cartridge filter go a year between (breaking down and) cleaning because I don't have an algae problem and the PSI gauge never moves during that 12 months, and when I finally perform the cleaning there is very little accumulated dirt. That tells me that my once a year regimen is OK. A pool with algae is a different story. Would find it difficult to fathom that the PSI on a DE filter hasn't increased for a year in a troubled pool.

this is the 2nd DE filter I've inspected and the pressure on both was 18psi. is that normal?

I cleaned one of them (took it apart) and the pressure still reads 18psi. that filter had paint on the tubes.

I'm recommending cleaning and acid washing the filters twice a year as a routine.

Maybe a possiblity if you say paint, that the pipes are clogged up and the filter is not doing as good as it should. Maybe trying to blow out the lines or something may see different results.

I am sure someone with more knowledge can expand a little more.

laurandavid09 said:
Maybe a possiblity if you say paint, that the pipes are clogged up and the filter is not doing as good as it should. Maybe trying to blow out the lines or something may see different results.

I am sure someone with more knowledge can expand a little more.

I think I will have to open up and clean the filter again. :hammer:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.