Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool and still can't get a TA reading

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool and still can't get a TA reading

went to do a quote on a pool today and tested:

FC: 3
    pH: 7.4

but just like the other pool I couldn't get a TA reading. I really need a better test kit. getting one Dec 5th. a Taylor.

also this new pool has mustard yellow on the bottom. I believe it's algae. should have taken a chlorine tablet to test but was called to the pool very late in the day and sun was going down. The other pool company said they can't get rid of the mustard yellow stuff. However the owner said its gotten a bit better now the summer is over. I rubbed an area with my hand and it seems smooth and come off a bit. got to be algae. oh and they have a very small Hayward DE filter that hasn't been cleaned in over 1 year.

If I get this pool and get rid of this mustard algae I'm sure I'll get the other pools in the complex. there are 8 pools total! and they are all not satisfied with the pool company they have now. time to study some more!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool and still can't get a TA reading

Great news.

For our experts, what values will mess with the TA test other than pH and Cl?

gg=alice
    1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by geekgranny
    Great news.

For our experts, what values will mess with the TA test other than pH and Cl?

gg=alice
    yes I know.

I have a Guardext test kit. the TA test might be bad? These test kits have probably been sitting in the shop for over 1 year. this is the Bahamas and the kits probably were shipped here so that's like 6 months to get here.

so test kit probably is at least over 1 year old. maybe older.

4. Back To Top    #4

I have a Guardext test kit. the TA test might be bad?
    You've nothing to compare it to, but it's very possible that one or more titrants/reagents in your test kit are past their prime.

this is the Bahamas and the kits probably were shipped here so that's like 6 months to get here.
    That would be on an exceedingly slow boat. Have they never heard of air freight?
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    I have a Guardext test kit. the TA test might be bad?
    You've nothing to compare it to, but it's very possible that one or more titrants/reagents in your test kit are past their prime.

[quote:2tcx2n49]this is the Bahamas and the kits probably were shipped here so that's like 6 months to get here.
    That would be on an exceedingly slow boat. Have they never heard of air freight?[/quote:2tcx2n49]

I'm getting a Taylor Dec 5th.

That is a slow boat but then it sits in customs for months. customs want their palms greased if you know what I mean. Airfreight would be faster but then they (the pool companies) don't want us little guys getting the tools of the trade and airfreight is very expensive. Plus then you have customs duty which starts at 45% and then don't forget stamp tax which is 7%.