Need help with inherited spa

Nov 19, 2009
I apologize as I am sure the information I need is posted somewhere but I have become totally overwhelmed.

I inherited a spa (415 gallon Hot Spring Highlife) and have no background whatsoever on how to decontaminate and then maintain. I thought I was going to go with the Cleanwater Blue system but then noted several reviews, in particular from chem geek and waterbear, that are making me rethink that idea. I guess I liked the idea of that system because it appeared easy to use and as a first-time spa owner I have no idea what I am really doing.

I thought I saw mention of easy to find grocery and hardware store-bought chemicals rather than relying on spa store salesmen and their markups but could not find any details on how to measure what is needed.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stef

Welcome!

Read that post that Bama linked to twice and then let us know what questions you still have. Of the stuff mentioned in that tutorial you'll need to purchase Dichlor, MPS, and Dry Acid from a pool store. You can use muriatic acid in place of dry acid, but it's harder to handle and easier to overdose, so if in doubt use the dry stuff.

Welcome :-D

I would also like to suggest a good decontamination process prior to filling for use. After having spas for 23 years, I got my first bioslime or biofilm this summer that made balancing very difficult, even with clear water. In addition, I got my first bladder infection, that was painful and hard to cure, at the very same time I realized it was bioslime. I did two flushes, using a commercial product, but it took the major decontamination, using lots of bleach, to get rid of the "bugs".

When I switched from Nature 2, ozone, MPS to BBB this summer it was really easy to maintain. I've just switched to Bromine, ozone, MPS, borax lately and it, to me doesn't seem as simple as the BBB method. I'm having difficulty keeping the TA and pH adjusted but I think I've found the reason.

At any rate the wonderful guys/gals will give you as much assistance as you want. Just ask.

gg=alice :)

Bama Rambler, Spishex, & Geek Granny--

Thanks for the warm welcome. I wish I had started at this site from the beginning.

I have to admit that I had glanced over the link that Bama recommended but had dismissed its relative simplicity as far as the chemicals required (NOTHING is simple for those of us who are chemistry-impaired). But thanks to your recommendations I read it a few times, found the items needed from a spa supplier and will stop at the supermarket tonight for the rest. Due to my challenges in the scientific realm I will certainly utilize the expertise provided by the group and follow the instructions to the letter. I even "splurged" by ordering the recommended test kit even though I inherited test strips with the spa.

It seems I am on my way. My next task will be to thoroughly clean the spa the Hillbilly Hot Tub way and see if I can get the right balance. I am hoping for success but may be back with more questions.

Thanks for all the help!
Stef

sjoneill_2k said:
Bama Rambler, Spishex, & Geek Granny--
It seems I am on my way. My next task will be to thoroughly clean the spa the Hillbilly Hot Tub way and see if I can get the right balance. I am hoping for success but may be back with more questions.

Thanks for all the help!
Stef

Hey Stef, Read this thread. The first post by chem geek is great info. Glad you know about Hillbilly Hot Tub procedure. :-D

http://www.troublefreepool.com/deco...ow-how-long-t17421.html?hilit=decontamination

While I was doing my decontamination, a neighbor fell about 12 ft off a ladder, hit her head on the house, and landed on big River Rocks smacking her head again. It took the ambulance forever to back in (they didn't know she had a turn around) and just when we convinced her that she had to go to ER, she started see-sawing about whether to go. DH and I are M.D. and R.N. I've had five concussions with the last one doing permanent damage so besides being medically trained we know from personal experience. We kept telling her "remember Natasha Richardson, she was fine first day...." Finally her kids insisted that she go. They did transfer her to a second hospital, for observation over night. She was dismissed without any complications, thank goodness. :)

So I was hours into the decontamination when I got home and too exhausted to do any more to tub. I don't think I ruined anything and the high chlorine level certainly had time to get "seek" out all the nasties.

BTW..... I certainly don't recommend doing the treatment for 24 hours, as I did.

Thanks for the advice. I enthusiastically shared with my husband all that I had learned about our tub. We plan to decontaminate the tub this Sunday. He asked if I thought we should chlorinate NOW and let it sit and I highly discouraged that plan as I like to follow directions (I happen to be RN too and like my policies and procedures). I figured it couldn't be good for the tub to sit in such a high concentration for so long but didn't really have the evidence to back my opinion.

I must admit I was a little tempted to chlorinate before we go to church in the morning and then drain when we get home, but we usually get a little too gabby and could be gone for as long as 3 hours, so having learned from your experience I think we'll just wait until we get home.

We're both a little concerned about getting it clean the first time. We got the tub over a year ago. We live in a 90-year-old house that needed rewiring so the tub became the catalyst for that project. The tub has been sitting empty, but covered, though it appears to only have surface dirt--leaves, twigs, dust, an occasional dead spider. But the friends we inherited it from did not seem to have a very scientific method behind their chemicals--"oh, just add a little of this and this and you'll be fine...here are our leftover containers...". And we know they were completely lax in how they had the electricity wired. YIKES! Knowing what little we know now, I am soooo glad we were never in it with them.

It so reassuring to have input from people who know what they're doing. Thanks for all of your help.
Stef

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.