Paging Poolio.......

Jul 8, 2007
Central Texas
"You can kill two birds with one stone and shock using Di-Chlor. This will help get your CYA up to that 60-80 range required for your swg. Actually the goldline one requires 100ppm. Just thought I would help you save some $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$"

Poolio,

I am going this route, starting the conversion this Sunday. How much Di-chlor do I need for my 12,000 gal pool?
Does any of the big hardware stores sell it? ( Lowe's, HD, Ace, etc)

Thanks,
Roberto

Most stores with pool supplies have dichlor, often referred to as ganular chlorine. Take a look at the ingredients if you are unsure. Sometimes they use long chemical names by you can usually pick out the "di-" and "chlor" portions embeded in the longer names.

For every 1 ppm of chlorine added with di-chlor you also get 0.9 ppm of CYA. How much dichlor you actually need depends on your pool size. You can calculate amounts with my pool calculator, see the link in my signature The tricky part is to balance out the addition of chlorine with the addition of CYA, you don't want either one going too high. Dichlor also ends up being rather acidic, so keep an eye on your PH when doing this.

Roberto said:
I just went to the Wal-mart, bleach was cheap and plenty. I bought lots of it, so this is what I am going to end up using for the conversion.

Personally I think you made the right decision. If you did go with the di-chlor, as the cya went up, the effectiveness of the chlorine would be lessened, thereby causing your conversion to take somewhat longer.
You also get better control over things if you add each chem separately.

With a little luck and persistence, you should be done within the week, and swimming by the weekend!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.