Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Pool in San Diego

1. Back To Top    #1

New Pool in San Diego

Hello,

I'm so glad I found this forum. It has only been a few days since I joined and I have already found it more than helpful. This is our first pool and I feel lost but learning as we go.

We are currently in the "waiting for plumbing" phase.

I'll attach pictures of our progress.

BEFORE DIG

DIG

LAYOUT

STEEL

BAJA SHELF

SPA

GROTTO BENCH
    Carlsbad, CA, 45x23.5, 27,000 gallon free form pool being installed now, 870 sq ft,18" raised spa w wide vanishing edge, grotto, sun shelf, 6 ft deep end, 3.5 shallow, pentair variable speed pump, 2 pentair whisperflow pumps, pentair minmax 400 BTU heater, easy touch pentair control panel, 4 LED Intellibrite lights, 2 in the pool 1 in grotto and 1 in the spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New Pool in San Diego

One More
    Carlsbad, CA, 45x23.5, 27,000 gallon free form pool being installed now, 870 sq ft,18" raised spa w wide vanishing edge, grotto, sun shelf, 6 ft deep end, 3.5 shallow, pentair variable speed pump, 2 pentair whisperflow pumps, pentair minmax 400 BTU heater, easy touch pentair control panel, 4 LED Intellibrite lights, 2 in the pool 1 in grotto and 1 in the spa

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Hi, Jenny,

Great pics.....that's gonna' be a beautiful pool. Keep us posted.

PS - Please check the operator's license of that trackhoe driver. He/she is certainly cute but I'm suspicious of his/her qualifications.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

What happened to the dirt under the grotto bench

Bruce

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

That's what I was wondering. Should have been filled with rock, soil, or sandbags. That's gonna cost some $$$$$for extra concrete. Somebody got a little carried away with their over dig.

6. Back To Top    #6

The person digging got carried away.

I hope they are not charging us for the cost of the extra concrete. I'm going to ask this question tomorrow.

7. Back To Top    #7

That will be a real beauty when it's finished Jennybug. I really like where you placed the deep end in the pool, a little unusual is'n it?
    A reflection that my untrained eye caught was the rebar job, it looks like a real tidy one
    Looking forward to follow this build from start to finish

//Mats
    Inground concrete pool 14600 gallons,Pentair Whisperflo 3/4HP WFE-3, Hayward swimclear 420sq ft
    Zodiac LM3-24 SWG, Dolphin Diagnostic poolrobot, Heatpump Gullberg&Jansson 13,8KW, TF testkit.

Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you You were trying to break into another world A world I never knew
    I always kind of wondered If you ever made it through Seen a shooting star tonight And I thought of you

8. Back To Top    #8

Where the heck did you find rebar that was that "clean"and un-rusted? Is it real rebar?
    (DIY):16K Gal 20X30 rectangular IG Gunite, w/spa, CCP 520 filter,2 Pentair VS pumps, 400KBTU Pentair gas heater, Heat Pump for cooling, **update5.25.2013** added an intellichem with acid pump that will control existing SWG. My Build Thread Here

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi Lershac,
    I have no idea about the rebar. This is our first pool and I am learning about the process as we go. I'll ask our contractor if this is rebar.

Henry Porter.. Thanks :P We decided to put the deep end in the center.. sort of. I think it is going to turn out great.
    I have been following your pool build and it's incredible what you have done.

10. Back To Top    #10

That's real rebar, and that's how we do it in California In fact, oftentimes the inspector will require us to wire brush rusted rebar before he will give the okay to gunite (shotcrete) the pool. Rusty rebar is not allowed here!

Great looking job so far! Looks like the steel guys did a great job. On to plumbing and gunite, and the big transformation begins. Very cool!

Bruce

11. Back To Top    #11

Hi Bruce

Plumbing started yesterday. Today they should finish, then I will post more pictures. Very exciting! Hopefully we will get to gunite next week.

Thanks for the info on the rebar.

12. Back To Top    #12

It has taken almost 1 week to finish the plumbing. They are doing a great job and it's getting exciting.

13. Back To Top    #13

equipment

14. Back To Top    #14

Looks great Any idea who's building the artificial rock?

Bruce

15. Back To Top    #15

I have no clue Bruce I will find out next week.

Are there several in our area? Please let me know who you think is good and who is not

16. Back To Top    #16

You may never know until it's all done! That doesn't mean it's bad, and the work that I see so far looks real good. I just have a problem with some of the artificial guys that make "marshmallows" instead of rocks If you have a picture or two of rocks or a waterfall that you guys like you should be able to show it to the rock crew and see if they can get close to that style. The gal I use can match a fake rock right next to a real rock and you can't tell which is which! I'll attach a pic of my pool that has some of her work, and I think she does some really nice stuff (although you may like a different style than I do!).

With the work that is already done for your grotto, your crew is already working, since they do it all start to finish. I'm leaving for Arizona in the morning and probably won't be back on the page until Sunday, but let me know if you find out who's doing the work and I'll see if I can give you some input so you guys get exactly what you want!

Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

Ever find out what they're going to do about their overdig under your bench?

18. Back To Top    #18

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    Ever find out what they're going to do about their overdig under your bench?
    I'm gonna guess they're gonna shoot it full and move on. Good chance the PB had overbreak in the formula and he'll "absorb" the extra cost. It really wouldn't be right to go back and charge the H/O for that.

Bruce

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks Bruce! I'll print this and ask right away.

DBfan187 I asked our contractor and he said they will fill it with gunite and are not charging us extra for it.

They did surprise us and are putting misters in the grotto as a house warming gift to us

20. Back To Top    #20

Bruce, I just ran out and asked about the rock work and told him I do not want it to look like marshmallows (LOL)

I'm also going to email a picture or two to them to make sure they know what I'm talking about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast