Potentially renting our house out - will tenants take care of the pool?

Jul 26, 2017
Queen Creek AZ
Help please. We're in a situation now where we are considering renting our house out bc work is taking us out of state for the foreseeable future. Through everything I've learned, I would absolutely hate hiring a pool service to do weekly maintenance on the pool. The chemicals and cost will likely be extortionate. Have any of you ever rented your place out and have the tenants been able to maintain the pool as you wish? Is there anything I can do to make this as easy as possible for tenants? Any advice is much appreciated. Many thanks!

I've never had a tenant that could maintain a bush, let alone a pool. It would have to be an extraordinary tenant. If I was asked to rank, the only person that would care less about an absentee landlord's pool than a weekly pool guy would be a tenant! Sorry, having dealt with both, I'm both anti-tenant and anti-pool guy. Then there is the issue of liability. I know it's done, there is a TFP Expert here that does it, but having a pool in a rental seems like a huge liability. I suppose you could cover that with liability insurance, but that would only resolve the financial issues associated with someone getting injured (or worse) on your property. And as an avid TPFer, this guy takes care of the pools himself, which would mean he's on the property all the time, keeping an eye on his property, pool and issues.

What means "Foreseeable future?" One year? Five? Ten? Even if you could find this mythical tenant, he could move on in a year, or two. Then what are you going to do? Come back and hope to find another? Or leave it to your property manager to find and place another mythical tenant? Have you ever been a landlord? Or used a property management service? It's a pretty well-known axiom: you don't live more than 30 minutes from a rental. Farther away is done all the time, of course, but there's a reason it's an axiom.

Sorry, I don't know much about AG pools. Can they be disassembled and stored? Would you lose the liner by doing that? What would be the cost to disassemble and later reassemble an AG pool? It sounds like a big pool. What kind of hole would that leave? If it were possible, I'd seriously consider taking that pool down. Between chemicals and maintenance costs, and possibly the cost of a weekly service, and liability insurance, I can't imagine you'd make much more in rent by offering a pool. You could very well have to operate it at a loss. And pools don't generally add much value to the sale price of a property, if any. So it's not like you'd be losing much investment potential. (Something to check on with a local realtor.). What is the lifespan of an AG pool? Would there even be anything left of it when you come back? If you come back?

Just playin' devil's advocate for ya. Getting rid of it altogether, or at least taking it down, might be worth considering...

No trying to be pessimistic but can't see this working out. If I had pools in any of my rental properties I'd hire a pool service unfortunately. Like Dirk said rentals and pools are definitely a liability that I don't want to have to take on. Most people take trash care of their own pools let alone in a rental.

Good luck either way!

I'd build the cost of a pool company service into the rent. Or you could give them the option to keep the pool closed and provide mosquito dunks for them to use. I wouldn't let a tenant take care of it. At least with a pool company you can get resolution if they water isn't looking good or change to a new company.

dw.

I have two rental houses with pools... Thankfully they are somewhat near me, so I can take care of both of them. Unless you can find a renter with a real interest in maintaining a pool, you will be lucky if they even remember to add water... :p

I only see two options...

1. Write the whole pool off and take it out.. The cons are the loss of the investment into the pool. The pros are you are done with it and there is no additional costs.

2. Hire a pool service while you are gone forever. The pros are that you have a pool.. The cons are that you have to pay for a pool service a monthly fee, and then an opening fee and a closing fee, and fees to repair things and the cost for all the equipment that will go bad while you are gone. And of course a new liner when you get back..

Your experience may differ, but I would never rent out a house with a pool unless I was sure that I was returning in 2 years of less, and even if I did that, I would plan on setting aside a good chunk of the rent for future maintenance and repairs.

Just think about it for minute... The majority of home owners don't do a very good job of maintaining their pools and they own them!! What do you think most renters will do.. :p

And to be honest, the pool is not the only thing you have to be thinking about. I am very lucky in the fact that my dad could fix anything and he taught me how to fix "almost" anything.. :) I would not have any rental properties if I could not be the local property manager... I can generally fix most things that go wrong and when I can't I can get the right people to get the job done.

If you can't be in the local area, then you will need a property manager who will take 10% off the top and then take more money whenever something goes wrong and his crew or subs needs to go out and fix something. A simple jammed garbage disposal that can be fixed with an allen wrench, will turn into a new garbage disposal pretty quickly.

Not trying to be a downer, but renting a property needs to be fully thought out before doing it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'd build the cost of a pool company service into the rent. Or you could give them the option to keep the pool closed and provide mosquito dunks for them to use. I wouldn't let a tenant take care of it. At least with a pool company you can get resolution if they water isn't looking good or change to a new company.

Most excellent point! If the tenant lets it get green (and they will), they're going to call you. And then you're going to call a maintenance company. If the monthly maintenance company messes up the water, they're responsible for making it right, for the same monthly fee.

Jim R. is the TFP expert with the rentals with pools I was referring to. Sorry, none of our posts were what you were hoping for, I'm sure. As Jim points out, making a rental property successful is a tough game, even without a pool, even with the kind of hands on management he does (same for me). Now would not be the worst time to sell, if that's an option (if MD is anything like CA). Go, be successful, without the ties and stress of the old house. Come back or don't. Deal with where you'll live when you need to.

Are you particularly fond of your current house? Is that your forever house? That'd be understandable, wanting to keep it. Just be prepared for the heartbreak of what will be waiting for you upon your return. Don't expect it to be the house and pool you left. It just doesn't work that way...

As someone who just decided to try landlording out in the last two years I did a LOT of reading to prepare myself. I agree with the statement about not relying on your tenant to trim a bush. In fact, we cover the landscaping (rolled into price) to ensure it gets handled and still, I managed to almost lose my lawn but caught it in time on a random site visit(they decided to stop the irrigation!). Add to that the incidentals like "we hear rodents in the attic" or the "dishwasher rack broke" or "there's no hot water" and you will be spending some money to fulfill your obligation to them, unless your local and handy to diy of course.

If I had a pool and LOVED this particular house and hoped to return to it, I'd find an independent pool service and instruct how you want your pool handled (no pucks, no additives, etc.) and if they can agree, go for it. SWG would be a must.

Having the pool might command a slightly higher rent depending on location but it also creates another expense so it may likely be a wash.

Side note: "Landlording" by Leigh Robinson is a good book and also r/landlord on Reddit is a good resource to read about the do's and don'ts and some of the crazy predicaments you can find yourself in with rentals and tenants. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Edit: And I agree with what Dirk said above, it won't be the same house when you return. No one will take care of your house like you would and you could have great renters. Wear and tear seems magnified when it's someone else doing it ��. The sooner you shift your mindset on that one the better!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I had 6 rentals sold 5 the last 2 year. It’s a real pain. I’ve had over 20 tenants over the last 15 years and not one good one. I would have to rent a roll off dumpster every time one moved out. They would leave anything they didn’t want furniture beds ...etc.
Late night calls that the heats not working was the worst. My stomach would drop when I heard the phone ring late at night. If you can’t do maintenance yourself it will be really expensive.

I had 6 rentals sold 5 the last 2 year. It’s a real pain. I’ve had over 20 tenants over the last 15 years and not one good one. I would have to rent a roll off dumpster every time one moved out. They would leave anything they didn’t want furniture beds ...etc.
Late night calls that the heats not working was the worst. My stomach would drop when I heard the phone ring late at night. If you can’t do maintenance yourself it will be really expensive.

Very similar stats here (except I still have them). I've only had one good tenant, who continues to keep the interior as I left it. She won't lift a finger on the outside. The landscaping was once the pride of the neighborhood (when I left it), now it's an eyesore...

Ha, come to think of it... why am I doing this!?!

I lived in Howard County for many years, not too far from you. Not to dispute the many horror stories mentioned here, I had several close friends that were landlords in the area and had great tenants. I know some of them listed on https://www.ahrn.com/ it's directed at housing for military personnel and their families. Since you probably aren't more than about 20 minutes from Fort Detrick and most likely are looking for a shorter term lease, it might be a good option for you to try.

Adamstown is a quaint historic town, I don't blame you for wanting to hang on to a house there if you plan on returning to the area. Good Luck!

At least in CA, Military personnel can end a lease without penalty at a moments notice if they get deployed somewhere else...

Renting out a house and coming back to it is quite possible. Some amount of interior repair and new landscaping and you'll be as good as new. Finding a great tenant who will take care of your house is also possible. Based on the current value of houses I've made some very good money. All possible. And the better you are at land lording, the more likely these possibilities can happen. So I didn't mean to be so negative about your plan. Just be aware of the challenges and the other possibilities as you contemplate this aspect of your move.

I was a tenet of a rental with a pool. I rented the place specifically because of the pool. The landlord didn't care about the pool at all. In fact, I learned about TFPC and all we do here, because of the terrible state the pool was in when I took it over. My landlord had a property management company handle the day to day stuff and they refused to fix anything. I ended up fixing the pump, the filter and many fittings. (Plus a leaky roof. A busted garage opener and more.)

It really comes down to your expectation of the tenet and the tenants expectation of you. I feel that maintaining a TFPC pool is so simple that if they can take out the trash, they can care for the pool.

I will have to look for the thread but one of our TFP members went so far as to buy and good test kit, sign them up here at TFP, and show them how to do everything............when she came back to the house the test kit was shoved to the back and never been used :( They took care of NOTHING and in fact broke ruined many things :( She is still dealing with the fall out now.

I will have to look for the thread but one of our TFP members went so far as to buy and good test kit, sign them up here at TFP, and show them how to do everything............when she came back to the house the test kit was shoved to the back and never been used :( They took care of NOTHING and in fact broke ruined many things :( She is still dealing with the fall out now.

Is this me?

Household6,

WOW, what a rollercoaster! Part of me wanted to board a plane and go get your pool figured out for you. I can't imagine being in your situation, helpless to a point because of distance and unable to see and implement the procedures in a hands on manner. It's a lot of info to understand and process for someone new to pool maintenance so I can see where your confusion was occurring as I've had some of the same gaps in understanding initially.

I haven't read any other threads of yours but how did it all turn out the next season, and with new renters?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.