Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Guardex Test Kit says not to perform TA test when FC is high

1. Back To Top    #1

Guardex Test Kit says not to perform TA test when FC is high

in fact they say not to test for pH but I still get a reading.

still no reading on the TA happening. just nothing happening. I will test anyway again tomorrow and see if I can get a result.

is it normal not to get a TA result when FC is really high?

Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Gaurdex Test Kit says not to perform TA test when FC is high

When FC is high it can bleach out the red reagent so you don't get a green to red color change.
    TFP Moderator
    Helpful links: TF Test Kits,TFP Pool School, PoolMath
    Vogue 21' round AG, Pentair 1 hp 2 speed pump, 36 sq ft DE filter, Hayward S180T 150# sand filter, Houston, Texas
    Love TFP? Become a
    TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Gaurdex Test Kit says not to perform TA test when FC is high

Quote Originally Posted by zea3
    When FC is high it can bleach out the red reagent so you don't get a green to red color change.
    ah I see. Thanks. makes sense. but pH tests ok.

4. Back To Top    #4

Re: Guardex Test Kit says not to perform TA test when FC is high

Quote Originally Posted by IslandPool
    in fact they say not to test for pH but I still get a reading.

still no reading on the TA happening. just nothing happening. I will test anyway again tomorrow and see if I can get a result.

is it normal not to get a TA result when FC is really high?
    Chlorine must be really high for it to affect the pH reading so much that it becomes useless. I've been able to get nearly correct readings at 10 ppm FC and above, but it's always better to test before shocking and not rely on pH tests done when the chlorine level is over 10 ppm or climbing.

Though I haven't had issues with the Total Alkalinity test, zea3 has identified the problem. Here's what the #1 maker of test reagents says about this.

4. When I add my total alkalinity reagent I get a yellow endpoint instead of a red endpoint. Has the indicator gone bad?

Possibly. Outdated total alkalinity indicator can cause this problem as can excess chlorine in the sample. If in doubt about the potency of the reagent, replace it. When a high level of chlorine is present, add an extra drop of thiosulfate reagent to the sample to remove the chlorine interference then follow the test procedure as written. If your water sample contains a biguanide (PHMB) sanitizer like Baquacil® the alkalinity titration will properly go from green to purple instead of the usual green to red.
    14,555 gal in-ground 16'x29' white plaster Pool w/spa (2007); Goldline Aqua Logic AQL-PS-8 control w/Aqua Cell 15 Salt Water Chlorination (SWCG); Hayward TriStar 1HP (1.85 SF) main / 1.5HP (1.60 SF) spa pumps; Hayward Swimclear cart filter C4025, ColorLogic LED lights; Tankless SP-18-4 electric heater; Polaris 280 cleaner.
    __
    View of spiral galaxy in Ursa Major NGC6217 - Hubble Telescope 2009

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by polyvue
    Chlorine must be really high for it to affect the pH reading so much that it becomes useless. I've been able to get nearly correct readings at 10 ppm FC and above, but it's always better to test before shocking and not rely on pH tests done when the chlorine level is over 10 ppm or climbing.
    I believe Taylor's position on the pH test is that it should be correct up to 10ppm FC, and gradually degrades above that, and by around 15ppm you should not trust it. Adding thiosulfate to the pH test will not help, because the thiosulfate will itself affect the pH.
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page

6. Back To Top    #6

Thanks. That's a really good tip. much appreciated! I will try that with the TA test.

Tomorrow I'm diluting the FC test tube with untreated water 1:1 and then x2 to get a better FC reading. actually to get a reading period!

also buying a CYA test strip to see where my CYA is.

so hopefully I'll have readings for:

FC, pH, TA and CYA

I just have pH: 7.8

water looks great...blue and clear but I'm still brushing those black stains. And it's a painted pool.

7. Back To Top    #7

The CYA Tests on the strips are the most inaccurate of all tests on the test strips. The CYA Test is virtually worthless. Do not rely on strips, except for borates and Salt.
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by frustratedpoolmom
    The CYA Tests on the strips are the most inaccurate of all tests on the test strips. The CYA Test is virtually worthless. Do not rely on strips, except for borates and Salt.
    I don't have a choice. I can't get a decent test kit in until 2 weeks time. or should I just assume CYA is high?