Bleach to shock a pool?

IslandPool said:
I have some black algae spores on the bottom of a pool. and I have 4 gallons of generic bleach. will 4 gal of bleach shock and kill the spores in a 12,000 gal pool?

Thanks.
Wouldn't that be great if it was that easy? :-D

Killing algae by all accounts takes high levels of chlorine held over a period of time, sometimes many days. You won't be in a position to be able to effectively fight algae until you acquire a bit more knowledge about the process. I find the content of this link helpful.

Hint: If tabs have been used in this pool in the past, you'll have to know the level of cyanuric acid before you begin applying chlorine. Otherwise, you won't know how much or how little to pour in. Use too little, perhaps some of the algae is killed but it just keeps coming back. Use too much, you could damage the pool plaster and equipment.

polyvue said:
IslandPool said:
I have some black algae spores on the bottom of a pool. and I have 4 gallons of generic bleach. will 4 gal of bleach shock and kill the spores in a 12,000 gal pool?

Thanks.
Wouldn't that be great if it was that easy? :-D

Killing algae by all accounts takes high levels of chlorine held over a period of time, sometimes many days. You won't be in a position to be able to effectively fight algae until you acquire a bit more knowledge about the process. I find the content of this link helpful.

Hint: If tabs have been used in this pool in the past, you'll have to know the level of cyanuric acid before you begin applying chlorine. Otherwise, you won't know how much or how little to pour in. Use too little, perhaps some of the algae is killed but it just keeps coming back. Use too much, you could damage the pool plaster and equipment.

Thanks. ok so I have tons of chlorine and time....clients are away till January. need to test for CYA though. and will need to give it a good brush more often.

Yes, if it's true black algae, brushing with elevated chlorine levels is the key to killing it - its got this tough chlorine-resistant outer shell that you need to knock off so the chlorine can attack the insides the or "roots" and kill it.

frustratedpoolmom said:
Yes, if it's true black algae, brushing with elevated chlorine levels is the key to killing it - its got this tough chlorine-resistant outer shell that you need to knock off so the chlorine can attack the insides the or "roots" and kill it.

ah I see ok thanks. will be brushing plenty today. unfortunately the pool is painted. :(

I think I'll make it a policy not to take on any painted pools from now on.

Since you don't have to worry about bleaching out the color, and in fact that is what you ARE trying to do, I would get a length of pipe that will reach right to the spots, and then slowly pour in the bleach (with the pump OFF.) Since the bleach is heavier then water, it will pour right down and sit on the bottom, bleaching the stains. This can be a problem with vinyl lined pools, and is why good mixing is a must.

New2Me said:
Since you don't have to worry about bleaching out the color, and in fact that is what you ARE trying to do, I would get a length of pipe that will reach right to the spots, and then slowly pour in the bleach (with the pump OFF.) Since the bleach is heavier then water, it will pour right down and sit on the bottom, bleaching the stains. This can be a problem with vinyl lined pools, and is why good mixing is a must.

interesting idea. do you think my tele pole might do the trick?

or do I have to go and buy some 8ft pvc pipe?

frustratedpoolmom said:
You can try a vinyl-type pool brush instead of ss and see if that's easier on the paint?

I have one of these brushes with blue bristles..

16638_175976903067_163930848067_2855717_6570637_n.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.