Athens, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I posted this in another subject. Looks like this is the right topic. Sorry for my inexperience.

Hello

Just joined. So glad to find TFP. We have decided on design, type, placement and budget. Still have lots of decisions to make, but the main issue we have is that we have been practically begging for bids. It's like everyone is too busy to take new business in our area. Has anyone experienced this before? We are ready to start in the next month or so, so it is not like we would be wasting anyone's time. Every PB we contact comes out, sees the plan, takes notes and weeks later we are looking for the bid, we have to chase them down for the bid. The site is easy access, simple pool. Didn't discuss a budget. Of the 6 we have contacted, 2 have provided bids after several calls. One was prompt and is the front runner at this point. Do I keep calling more companies or be glad at least one PB is interested? LOL. I have lots of other questions for you gurus, but will wait until I can find a builder.

Re: New IG Build in Athens, GA

Welcome to the forum! :handshake:

I would suggest reconsidering some of your equipment. A single speed pump, especially with a SWCG, should be swapped to a variable speed pump. The pressure cleaner should be swapped for a robot. You will save a lot on future electricity and your pool will be cleaner.

I suggest you read Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

cj,

Welcome to TFP.. a great place to find the answers to all of your "Greek" new pool questions... :shark:

A lot of pool builders mainly use one brand of equipment, so by telling them which brand of equipment you want to use, it may turn them off..

Just like you are evaluating each pool builder, they are evaluating you and your pool requirements. One of the advantages of being busy is that they can pick the pools they want to build. It is just about the same amount of work to build an expensive pool as it is to build a simple pool. So they will do the ones where they make the most money. Construction access is another issue. The harder is it is to get access to the site, the less likely they will want to build your pool.

I would make sure that you show them your plans with the idea that they are the basic idea of what you want and not the only thing you will accept. They may see things in your plans that make it difficult to build, so be open to new ideas.

I found that there were a lot more pool builders in my area than I initially thought.. Keep looking until you get at least three solid bids.

Thanks,

Jim R.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.. and I agree with Marty.. no one builds a new SWCG pool and uses a single speed pump. And while some pool owners still prefer their 1970's pressure side cleaners, about 90% of those that have switched to a Robot would never, ever go back.

We had a harder time than expected getting bids for our pool also. I guess they are all really busy. Two of the companies never called us back when I left a message to talk to them initially about our possible pool. We did get three to come out and talk to us. One never called us back, and the two others were pretty close in price, so we chose the one that we felt had the best design and would be easier to work with. We did let them know that all we expected was to be able to swim next season, so our time was flexible. They are scheduled to start digging ours sometime in late October depending on the weather, and have several pools ahead of us.

Thank you for your input! We will keep looking for bids. We are open to other equipment. I am reading all of your forums and taking notes and researching.

Everybody wants pools and bids in the summer. As the weather cools, I think these guys' business will slow down and you'll get more serious attention. DON'T RUSH THIS - "Act in haste, repent at leisure". You'll be using this pool for many years - don't go with the first guy that says he can build it for you, and beware of anybody who says they can do it in 4-6 weeks! Research their previous builds, get references, ask about their payment schedule (typically about 10% up front, 25% to 30% when they dig the hole, 25%-30% when it's ready for water, and the rest when everything is finished to your complete satisfaction).

Good luck!

I had the same probably earlier this summer. I contacted several companies. One came out but never got back with me. I didn’t call him back b/c I felt if he really wanted me as a customer he would’ve gotten back to me like he said he would. Too bad b/c he was a really nice guy that offered me tons of information. I probably would’ve gone with him if he ever gave me a quote. Other companies never even responded to my requests for quotes. One guy was nice enough to get back to me but told me that their minimum build standards were high and that their pools usually cost $75K or more. I appreciated his help as well, but if your minuimum cost is that high they should say so on their website and I wouldn’t have even bothered contacting them. It was also the beginning of summer so I’m sure many were already too busy. I don’t know about your area but down here there are literally hundreds of pool builders because it’s a hot and humid area almost year round. Hopefully you have plenty of options.

Just keep looking for reputable companies and wait till you find one you really like. If they don’t take time for you before the build(when you most likely get the most of their attention), they probably won’t make time for you once building starts. Be sure to ask plenty of questions, it’s your money and they should be willing to give you answers. Good luck in your search!

In Tampa the pool business is on FIRE with multi-month backlog and delays.

My sales guy was candid with me: lower cost pools with lower contribution margins / sales commission are being tossed aside.

Not suggesting this is the case, but something to consider in addition to the aforementioned possibilities.

Hello TFP folks

We found our builder! Really happy about the decision. We worked out the final details today and they are working on the contract. Said it would take about 2 weeks to get the permitting in our county so we will set the start date accordingly. Very excited. We did our own design and provided drawings of the pool and the pool house (a renovation of our detached apartment that we will handle separately). Builder really like our ideas. We are going for resort style, geometric, clean lines, white concrete with slightly different color cast coping.View attachment 87184 I have attempted to attach my sketch for you to see. We will also get one from the builder with the contract. I would really like to get your feedback on the specs and design. Thank you for all that I have learned from all of you so far.

Doesn't look like my signature saved on the reply. Adding the correct specs below...

Details worked out signing contract this week:16x32 Rectangle Gunite, 4’ to 6’6”, additional 6x10 tanning ledge with 2 bubblers and umbrella holder, 2 deck jets, Jandy 1.5 2 speed pump, AquaPure SWCG rated for 40k gal, Aqua Link, Jandy side mount sand filter, 3 Jandy Nichless Led Lights ,1 skimmer, 3 returns, robot, plumbing and space on pad to add propane heater later, 1,000+ feet concrete deck, cast concrete coping, pebble tec bella blue, glass subway waterline tile in shades of blue.

Last edited:

We finally have a builder. Should have start date in a few days. Looking like late October here as well. :)

We had a harder time than expected getting bids for our pool also. I guess they are all really busy. Two of the companies never called us back when I left a message to talk to them initially about our possible pool. We did get three to come out and talk to us. One never called us back, and the two others were pretty close in price, so we chose the one that we felt had the best design and would be easier to work with. We did let them know that all we expected was to be able to swim next season, so our time was flexible. They are scheduled to start digging ours sometime in late October depending on the weather, and have several pools ahead of us.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Nice, we did the bella blue (pebble fina) and are super happy with it. You can see pics of it in my link in my signature.

We also had issues with builders calling back and following through with quotes.

Re:  New IG Build in Athens, GA

Beautiful pool! Love the water color. Perfect!

Nice, we did the bella blue (pebble fina) and are super happy with it. You can see pics of it in my link in my signature.

We also had issues with builders calling back and following through with quotes.

We signed the contract today and I am hoping that someone here as the time to take a quick look at the specs and design I uploaded on to post from 10/1. Any help is much appreciated.

SPECIFICATIONS
A. Pool Shape: Freeform - Per Design
B. Pool Size And Depth: 568 sq. ft. 104’ Perimeter, Pool Depth: 3.5’ to 8’ Built Per Design
C. Pool Type: Shotcrete With Pebble Finish
D. Filter And Pump Type: Sand Pump: 1.5 H.P. Stealth Pump
E. Filter to be located within 25 feet of the pool.
F. Basic items included:

*Measurements are approximate and can differ from actual design depending on radius layout and terrain.

Permitting:
-Environmental Health Approval If Needed -Building Permit
-Electrical Affidavit

Grading Specs:
-Pre Excavation Grading Provided -Dirt To BE Spread On Rear Slope
-Excavation Of Pool -Dirt To Stay On Lot

* will use as much excavated dirt as possible and haul the rest off at $650 per dumpster!

Pool Specs:
-6” – 8” Rebar Reinforced Concrete Walls -4000 PSI Shotcrete Construction
-6” – 8” Rebar Reinforced Concrete Floor -Schedule 40 PVC Plumbing
-12” X 3 Bar Concrete Reinforced Bond Beam -All Plumbing Pressure Tested
-Custom Designed Entry (Tan Ledge And Steps) -Skimmer/Returns/Dual Main Drains
-Pebble Fina Base Colors -3.5’ Shallow End And 6’-8-‘ Deep End
-Choice of 6”X 6” Waterline Tile (Solid Only) -Concrete Coping
-Deep End Bench Per Design -Over Flow Grid
-Lifetime Structural Warranty -1 Umbrella Hole
-Electrical Hook-Up -Electrical Bonding

*Any tile smaller than 6 X 6 will be billed at $5 per linear foot and décor tiles will add the price of the tile.
*Extra umbrella holes can be added upon request at no charge.

Decking Specs: -
-1260 SF of 3000 PSI Concrete -Saw Cut Joints

Equipment Specs:
-Jandy Pump/Filter Sized For 8hr Circulation -Jandy Neverlube Valves
-Jandy Aqualink PDA4 -Salt for Pool (Start-Up)
-Jandy 1.5 HP Stealth Pump -Adjustable Freeze Protection
-Jandy Sand Filter -Sand for Filter (If Needed)
-3 Nichless Lights -Pole, Net, and Start Up Chemicals
-Polaris Robotic Auto Cleaner -Water and Air Temp Sensors
-Jandy Actuators -Jandy Valves
-Jandy Salt Cell PLC1400 -GFCI Outlet At Equipment
-2” Multiport Valve -3 X Unions For Filter Access

*All pool equipment is to be hooked up to permanent power by a certified electrician.
*All equipment controlled with Iphone or mobile device.

cj,

There are many different Jandy Stealth pumps... You do NOT want a single speed pump. Make sure that the pump you get is a VS pump. With a SWCG, you will have to run the pump a long time, so a VS pump is very important.

Other than that I don't see any red flags...

Jim R.

Thank you Jim! I will make sure that is corrected.

When ordering my TF100 kit is there anything extra needed for a SWG pool?

cj,

There are many different Jandy Stealth pumps... You do NOT want a single speed pump. Make sure that the pump you get is a VS pump. With a SWCG, you will have to run the pump a long time, so a VS pump is very important.

Other than that I don't see any red flags...

Jim R.

cj,

The two things needed the most are..

1. SpeedStir... Trust me... it makes testing very easy and almost "fun".

2. For saltwater pools you need the Taylor K-1766 or the TFP equivalent. This is a salt test kit that you will not need often, but will need. You never want to rely just on what the salt cells say the salt level is... It is always best to know for sure what the actual salt level is before adding salt.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yay! County inspector was here today. Close call on the drain fields being too close to decking on the plans. But after a 3rd measure all looks good! In our county your decking (any hardscapes) must be 5 feet from any septic component. Would have been glad to back off on some of the deck, but it would have caused a delay and another visit. So glad that is over because we have heard horror stories in our county for denied pool permits.

Morning Crockett.
Your post caught my eye as I’m from Gainesville. [Go Dawgs!]

Live in NC now, but still have a condo rental property in G’ville. Neighbor’s water heater blew and flooded my unit. That was in late March. I just signed the contract for gutting the kitchen and some additional drywall replacement yesterday. SIX months later! (I had to contract for mold removal and floor replacement myself. From 600 miles away. Fun times!)

While the economy is obviously in a good spot right now, I wonder if North and NE GA area is doing especially well.

What area of Athens are you in?
Look forward to following along on your build!

<signing on to follow this build as Athens is right up the road from me>

I believe the federal government says that by 2020 all new pool builds will require VS pump to meet energy savings.

So get one now. VS pumps let you run the pump at very low electricity draws and save a ton of money, yet the pool will still be getting filtered and equipment will run.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.