Difference between Pentair Mobiletouch and Mobiletouch 2

dhc

Feb 28, 2015
CA
I know many of you own a wireless controller for their Pentair setup so I wanted to ask if somebody can help me understand the difference between the Pentair Mobiletouch (#520340) and Mobiletouch 2 (#520906). I am getting a Pentair Intellitouch i5+3 installed with screenlogic2 and while a separate panel is not required for this setup as far as I understand I think it would be nice to have.
The system under control will be a 20k gal inground pool with vanishing edge and a spa. Nothing major to control besides lights and one water feature (fake spill-over from spa to pool).
Anybody out there who can make a recommendation whether not to purchase at all or if to purchase which one to get?

Help is much appreciated!

520340 Pentair IntelliTouch MobileTouch, Wireless Handheld Only is obsolete. The correct number is the 520906. This comes with the handheld and the antenna.

dhc,

You are correct that you do not need a dedicated remote if you have ScreenLogic.. What would you use the remote for?

Just curious... What options made you select the IntelliTouch over the EasyTouch?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jimrahbe, the system is for our vacation property that we also rent out. While I will be using my phone I don't want to give guests access to the mobile app but rather provide a wireless remote to operate pool, spa and lights. Wireless b/c I don't want to have to put conduit throughout my house to get a wired remote installed.
Hope this use case makes sense.
Re: Easytouch vs Intellitouch - I haven't really thought about that. I almost prefer that with the intellitouch the power supply cannot control pool/spa. That said it would not be worth the extra money just for that. I guess since easytouch can control 8 circuits as well it is actually a viable option.

520340 Pentair IntelliTouch MobileTouch, Wireless Handheld Only is obsolete. The correct number is the 520906. This comes with the handheld and the antenna.

Kudos for clarifying!
One more question - the Screenlogic II comes with an antenna. Will I need a second (different) antenna for the MobileTouch or will the Screenlogic antenna suffice?

The Screenlogic comes with a wireless link (also called a virtual cable). It's a matched pair of transceivers that get the data to and from the screenlogic's protocol adapter and they are not the same as the MobileTouch antenna/transceiver

The MobileTouch 2a is the current mobile touch version... if you're looking to buy one new, use the part 520906 number as mentioned earlier - it comes with the required transceiver.

If you're buying on used, be aware that the transceivers have changed over time. The only way to tell what transceiver a remote uses is to look at the FCC id on the remote:
- The current MobileTouch 2a (fcc id P4HMOBILETOUCH2A) uses the newest transcever that has a big chip labeled "Laird", and the actual antenna is integrated into the board.
- The MobileTouch 1 (fcc id P4HMOBILETOUCH) and MobileTouch 2 (fcc id P4HMOBILETOUCH2) use the same, older transceiver (there's a big chip on it labeled "Linx", and these have a removable, screw-in antenna)

If you found a cheap used MobileTouch 1, I don't see any problem using it - it's an actual indoor controller stuffed in a box with a battery, charging board and transceiver.

Should you be looking at the new IntelliCenter before you decide anything? It's getting some buzz here on the forum because it's actually orderable now. (Not sure about shipping status.)

I forgot to mention that if you have Screenlogic set up wirelessly, you can use a "wired" indoor controller instead of a MobileTouch... the Screenlogic's indoor transceiver has a comm port that connects to the Screenlogic protocol adapter (little metal box), and you can connect a "wired" indoor controller to it as well - making it wireless in so far as it requires no line/conduit going to your pool.

This also works on Easytouch systems and hey, the indoor controllers cost less!

Ha, I love my indoor controller, and is a viable solution for a rental. No batteries. Bolts to the wall, out of reach of kids. That many less things a landlord has to deal with!

I forgot to mention that if you have Screenlogic set up wirelessly, you can use a "wired" indoor controller instead of a MobileTouch... the Screenlogic's indoor transceiver has a comm port that connects to the Screenlogic protocol adapter (little metal box), and you can connect a "wired" indoor controller to it as well - making it wireless in so far as it requires no line/conduit going to your pool.

This also works on Easytouch systems and hey, the indoor controllers cost less!

This is an awesome tip. Thanks much - it actually sounds like the best solution given that the MobileTouch2 reviews are pretty bad and it seems like a nightmare to try to distinguish them.
I browsed through the IntelliTouch pool and spa control system user guide but it states that the iLink Home Automation Protocol Interface Adapter(P/N 520442) needs to be connected to the personality board via a 22-AWG cable? Are you talking about a different adapter? Which 'wired' control panels are my options?

To clarify, I have a pool and spa dual system, i.e separate bodies of water with individual pumps and filters. From looking through the Pentair control options I think I am limited to the IntelliTouch i10+3 b/c I need to operate 2 sets of equipment.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Should you be looking at the new IntelliCenter before you decide anything? It's getting some buzz here on the forum because it's actually orderable now. (Not sure about shipping status.)

I am intrigued. Looking at the manual it seems like I would need the i10D personality kit. I cannot find any pricing on this. One caveat - I need to purchase this equipment sometime next week (Sept. 24-28) as it will need to be installed the week after. Not sure how readily available this unit is.

Hey Dhc,

The indoor controller I'm talking about is pentair 520138. I don't think the iLink adapter is what you want - it lets you control some parts of your pool with other brand's equipment.

Grab this screenlogic manual from the pentair site from the link below, and check out the diagram on page 3:

https://pentairpool.com/~/media/websites/pool/downloads/automation/manuals/screenlogic_interface_wireless_connection_kit_for_intellitouch_and_easytouch_systems_english.pdf

You'll see the Intellitouch Indoor controller connected via a dashed line to the indoor transceiver (dark gray box) on the same black line as the Protocol Adapter. That black line goes to the indoor transceiver's rs485 connector (comm port) - the bottom right of page 2 shows it... there's a 4 position connector with the black/green/yellow/red

Tom

oh and to your comment about needing an i10+3 because you've got a pool and spa... the "+3" means it does pool AND spa (2 body), and "+3s" means pool OR spa (1 body), so an i5+3, i7+3, or i9+3 will do pool and spa as well... they just offer fewer auxiliary circuits. The i5+3 has an additional limitation where it doesn't let you use "feature circuits", but it's 1/2 the price of an i10+3

(the easy touch 4 and 8 also does pool AND spa, whereas the 4p and 8p do pool OR spa)

oh and to your comment about needing an i10+3 because you've got a pool and spa... the "+3" means it does pool AND spa (2 body), and "+3s" means pool OR spa (1 body), so an i5+3, i7+3, or i9+3 will do pool and spa as well... they just offer fewer auxiliary circuits. The i5+3 has an additional limitation where it doesn't let you use "feature circuits", but it's 1/2 the price of an i10+3

(the easy touch 4 and 8 also does pool AND spa, whereas the 4p and 8p do pool OR spa)

Again, many thanks for the clarification, again!
To be precise about pool and spa I have pool and spa with 2 independent sets of equipment and both will need to run at the same time. The pool has a vanishing edge so the pump needs to be running during the day. If I want to use the spa at the same time I need to increase the pump speed for the jets and start the blower for bubbles plus heater.

When reading the manual it sounded that all systems but the i10+3 would only be able to run the equipment for one body of water at a time and are using actuated valves to distinguish between the body of water that is being treated. I may be misunderstanding the pentair website. If you say the easytouch 8 can handle 2 independent sets of equipment and control both of them at the same time I'd be more than willing to go with the easytouch.

I am intrigued. Looking at the manual it seems like I would need the i10D personality kit. I cannot find any pricing on this. One caveat - I need to purchase this equipment sometime next week (Sept. 24-28) as it will need to be installed the week after. Not sure how readily available this unit is.

Here's a thread about it:

Pentair IntelliCenter - Page 3

It's quite old, but the recent posts have some current info.

What is driving the installation schedule? I only ask because I'd hate to see you kicking yourself in a month because you didn't shift your upgrade plan back a few weeks or months, to accommodate the wait for this latest tech from Pentair.

ahhh yes you are right... the +3s uses "shared" equipment. i think the easytouch also uses shared equiment - but i'm getting out of my element here (i've only got a pool)

i've actually got an i10+3d panel on my bench, and i'm a little annoyed... it uses the same motherboard and firmware as the i5/i7/i9 variants and the personality board is almost the same as the i9+3s - except the i10 swaps a valve relay and Aux4 for separate filter/solar/heat controls for the pool and spa. the i5/i7/i9 hardware can clearly handle separate equipment but is knee-capped by the firmware.

Edit: sorry Dirk! i keep overlapping your posts!!

Here's a thread about it:

Pentair IntelliCenter - Page 3

It's quite old, but the recent posts have some current info.

What is driving the installation schedule? I only ask because I'd hate to see you kicking yourself in a month because you didn't shift your upgrade plan back a few weeks or months, to accommodate the wait for this latest tech from Pentair.

The plaster date is set for the week after next (krystalkrete) and that means I have to have the equipment installed and running by then. Also, I have renters soon after so the project has to land in the next 3 weeks which gives little wiggle room.
I wasn't able to find a version of this item on the pentair website but the generic brochure says that dual equipment (2 sets of pumps / filters) are supported by this. Do you happen to have a link where this is sold? All I found on the thread you linked was some builders that used this panel but it does not seem readily available.

The plaster date is set for the week after next (krystalkrete) and that means I have to have the equipment installed and running by then. Also, I have renters soon after so the project has to land in the next 3 weeks which gives little wiggle room.
I wasn't able to find a version of this item on the pentair website but the generic brochure says that dual equipment (2 sets of pumps / filters) are supported by this. Do you happen to have a link where this is sold? All I found on the thread you linked was some builders that used this panel but it does not seem readily available.

I'm not following it that closely, perhaps ask that question over in the other thread.

Understood about the schedule. I don't know my Pentair model numbers, is that a programmable pump? Conceivably you could program the pump for filtering, while you await the new controller. That'd give you a little room to wait beyond when the new plaster comes in. You definitely want circulation day one for new plaster, but you don't (can't) vacuum for a while, or even get in. No heater necessary. No light necessary. So really all you need for the first few weeks to a month is the filter pump running on a schedule, which doesn't require a controller if your pump has a timer, or if it can run on an external timer (like an inexpensive Intermatic timer).

According to PolyTec pools (on the internet), IntelliCenter is ready to ship (i5PS in stock). I believe Dirk is correct in that it certainly deserves a good look. Newer technology. ScreenLogic type functionality built in. Around $300 more than IntelliTouch all things considered. Just a thought. You can give PolyTec a call on monday (or maybe they are open on weekends) and get all the details.

According to PolyTec pools (on the internet), IntelliCenter is ready to ship (i5PS in stock). I believe Dirk is correct in that it certainly deserves a good look. Newer technology. ScreenLogic type functionality built in. Around $300 more than IntelliTouch all things considered. Just a thought. You can give PolyTec a call on monday (or maybe they are open on weekends) and get all the details.

CORRECTION!!! on my last post. NOT $300 but more like $200.

I just got done doing a cost comparison between the Pentair IntelliTouch and Pentair IntelliCenter. I tried to compare apples to apples so here goes -

With Load Center
With two Valve Actuators
Temperature Sensors
No SWCG or associated transformer (I was trying to keep it simple) :D

IntelliTouch i5+3PS Pool/Spa Combo with ScreenLogic2 and two valve actuators (the older type (263045) $130.00 when purchased separately) = $1,405.00

IntelliCenter i5PS Pool/Spa Combo (ScreenLogic type functionality is built-in) and two valve actuators (the newer type (521485) $150.00 when purchased separately) = $1,599.00

I did the math for you. IntelliCenter cost a whopping $194.00 dollars more but you get the newer type valve actuators along with the newest technology.

I did not do any comparison between EasyTouch and IntelliCenter as the capabilities are too different and are for different type applications. But the cost difference is about $800.00 when you factor in ScreenLogic2.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.