Bulk Chlorine

Jul 24, 2018
Tallassee
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I am going to start buying liquid chlorine 12.5% in 55 gallon drums. I would like to plumb it directly into the return line so all I need to do to chlorinate is flip a switch. I am looking for recommendations for the type of pump to use, suggested flow rate, type and size of tubing to use. I am not interested in wi-fi or blue tooth control. I just want to turn the pump on manually for a designated amount of time for a designated dose of chlorine so I don't have to fill jugs and carry them to the pool to pour. The chlorine will be stored in an air conditioned box.

Sadie,

You need to use the search box in the upper right of your screen and search for "Stenner Pump"

It is exactly what you need. The problem with buying 55 gal drums of chlorine is that the chlorine will degrade over time, It might make sense to buy a smaller quantity.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Looking at your chart, I should be OK if I keep it cool and that shouldn't be a problem. Thanks for the info.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been looking at Stenner pumps and it looks like that is what I need. Now I need to figure out which one. I was not planning to put it on a timer, but I could. I was just going to test level, figure out how much I need to add, and turn the injector pump on manually and time it for the amount I need. A larger pump would allow me to do it more quickly, but possibly less accurately. Any suggestions?

Sadie,

I can't help much with the specific model, but I would sure put it on a timer... I also think it makes more sense to inject chlorine a little at a time over a longer period of time vs. a whole lot of chlorine all at once.

Doing it manually would get to be old pretty fast... And, if you manually turn it on, you will have to manually remember to turn it off.

We have plenty of Stenner owners that I suspect will be chiming in with their inputs..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Definitely consider getting a timer and wire it up such that the stenner can only be on when the water pump is on.

After a while you'll find a setting that well and you'll rarely have to adjust anything. Further you won't even need to test but a couple times a week

You need a Stenner pump. I went with the 10 gallon per day, fixed rate, 100 psi version, #2 santoprene tube. Similar to this one .

You will also want a timer for it. Manually turning it on and off will get old fast. Te whole purpose of doing this is to make it automatic. For the $20, it is definitely worth it! I had great success with the Woods 50015 timer .

Shop around on the net for the best prices.

Do you have any issues with the heat or sunlight depleting the chlorine in your blue storage tank?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sadie,

I can't help much with the specific model, but I would sure put it on a timer... I also think it makes more sense to inject chlorine a little at a time over a longer period of time vs. a whole lot of chlorine all at once.

Doing it manually would get to be old pretty fast... And, if you manually turn it on, you will have to manually remember to turn it off.

We have plenty of Stenner owners that I suspect will be chiming in with their inputs..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Hey Jim, why do you say this ? "I also think it makes more sense to inject chlorine a little at a time over a longer period of time vs. a whole lot of chlorine all at once." Thanks....

Hey Jim, why do you say this ? "I also think it makes more sense to inject chlorine a little at a time over a longer period of time vs. a whole lot of chlorine all at once." Thanks....

Ooh, ooh, me, me. I know this one. See if I can type faster than Jim!

The ideal chemical balance for a pool is one that is constant, all day, every day. Impossible to achieve, but something to shoot for, if you can. Sun and bather load will use chlorine throughout the day. Ideally, you want to replace it as it is used, so that your pool always has the same amount of available chlorine (FC). That way, you never have too much or too little of chlorine in your water.

If you add just once a day, you have to put in more than your pool needs, so that as it is used up, you end up with no less than your pool needs by the end of the cycle. So at the beginning of the cycle you have this high amount of chlorine, and at the end of the cycle you have a much lower amount. When you have more chlorine than your pool needs, it will burn off faster (wasting money). When you have less, you're risk of an algae problem is slightly higher. With an even amount all day, you have neither issue.

Short answer: you'll need less chlorine, and use less chlorine, if you dose small amounts all day long.

It's your pool, and your chlorine, you can run it any way you choose. You can certainly keep your pool sanitized the way you propose. But what everyone is pointing out, you've got the makings for an excellent system, but your short-changing yourself by running it the way you propose. It's better for your pool, and easier for you, to put the Stenner on a timer and automate the whole process. Otherwise, it's like buying a nice car to get your family around in, but pushing it from place to place!

Sammy,

What Dirk said... /\ /\

If you look at the FC/CYA chart you will notice there are two tables.. One of regular pools and one for Saltwater pools.

The Saltwater pools have lower FC requirements mainly because you add a little chlorine over a longer period of time.

A Stenner can be used the same way as a Saltwater Chlorine Generator (SWCG)...

Thanks,

Jim R.

There are some practical considerations to inject chlorine over a shorter period of time for pools with a single speed pump. My pump runs from 5 to 10am. In this scenario, I selected a fixed output Stenner, which adds chlorine at a 1 oz/minute rate, for a total of 45 oz which the pool needs. I could program up to 3 injection periods within the filter pump run, but I’d rather have a longer “mixing” time - so the Stenner runs from 5:30 to 6:15am.

All components - filter pump, Polaris booster and Stenner - are controlled by Intermatic PE153 controller.

There are some practical considerations to inject chlorine over a shorter period of time for pools with a single speed pump. My pump runs from 5 to 10am. In this scenario, I selected a fixed output Stenner, which adds chlorine at a 1 oz/minute rate, for a total of 45 oz which the pool needs. I could program up to 3 injection periods within the filter pump run, but I’d rather have a longer “mixing” time - so the Stenner runs from 5:30 to 6:15am.

All components - filter pump, Polaris booster and Stenner - are controlled by Intermatic PE153 controller.

Of course every pool and pad have their unique requirements. But there's always more than one way to skin a, well, apple!

Sure, shortening a single-speed pump's runtime would be good for the ol' electric bill. If that's one of your reasons. Maybe you have others. But you mentioned you have timers for everything. You could split your pump runtime into three or four sessions, with a Stenner dose in each session. That way you could spread out the dosing throughout the day, and maybe get some better skimming to boot. It could help to minimize hot/cold spots and heat inversion layers, too.

I'm not meaning to hijack this thread to tell you how to setup your pool, I'm merely suggesting to the OP (any of us), that you can get creative with timers and scheduling to optimize a pool's performance. A chlorine dosing run, just as a filter run, does not have to be contiguous. You can use the same energy and get better chemical balance, and maybe a cleaner pool, and/or one more evenly heated, too, by thinking outside the box a little. Let those machines and their timers earn their keep!

Oh, and to your other point, perhaps your particular pool needs a long mixing time, but most pools can distribute a chlorine dose in as little as a half hour. Certainly one with a single speed pump going at it. Most would not need four hours to do it. Especially when an injection system is splitting the entry into the pool across multiple returns. This would be easy enough to confirm, too, just by performing an FC test in multiple places around the pool.

hummmmm. lol.. Just the opposite as how i have done it guys. Before the SWG came along we walked over to the pool and dumped in the daily amount of chlorine in front of a return. Then once the Slow producing salt water making things came into play every one figured slow was the way. They were slow as that is as fast as they can go. We never used an eye dropper to drip the chlorine in, lol. I understand the high and lows but as long as it is in the range i see it much more effective to get that chlorine in as fast as possible. I have done this for 39 years and no issues. This year because i wanted something to do, lol, and I'll blame this site, lol, i installed a Stenner. I plumbed and wired it in and filled a container with the amount of chlorine i add each day. Put the suction from the Stenner in it and timed how long it took to suck it dry. Took two minutes. I have a 85GPD and #5 tube for max output. I run my main pump from 7PM to 10:30PM only. Stenner kicks on at 8PM after the currents are set up in the pool, runs for the 2 minutes. Never had to re adjust anything and at 7:55PM when i take my water sample the chlorine is always at 5, minus / plus .5.. Water is just as clear as when i hand dosed. Now, what the chlorine level is the first hour or so after the Stenner is done i do not know, nor care. My concern is clear water and seeing 5PPM when i test just before re dosing.
Maybe i get away with this due to location, i don't know. No heater and water never above 90 so that may help. Dirk, you would love it up this way as in my area we have acid rain and i have never had to purchase PH down in any form, lol. Sorry, lol.
So yes there is more then one way to skin that apple, lol.

So there you go, Sadiebug. Lots of ways to do it. Try it however you like, and you can continue to adjust your equipment and methods until you find what works for you and your pool. By the way, did you find this thread yet? Lots of good Stenner info:

Stenner liquid chlorine pump - How to choose and install

I appreciate all the helpful advice from everybody! I am just now ready to order my Stenner, so I will check out that thread to see if it can help me decide which one. Thanks. BTW, I have decided to use a timer. Currently my main pump is controlled by a simple 220V water heater timer.

I have a stenner with a 55 gallon supply tank. My tank is under the house and stays dark and cool. I have never had any noticeable degradation the past two years it has been hooked up. The first barrel runs out about mid season and I fill it back up with another 55 gallon. I never have to change my stenner run time either, thats why I say I never notice any degradation of the chlorine. I end up with about 10 gallons left over and typically keep a few gallons for the house and give away the rest. Still cheaper than buying 45 individual gallons mid season. I cannot help with getting the perfect size stenner for your setup as I found mine cheap (Stenner 85MHP17) on craigslist and figured I would make it work one way or another. I currently run it twice a day for 20 minutes each to get a total of 1/2 gallon into the pool per day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.