How to keep the pole from collapsing

Jul 2, 2009
I've had my poool about 1.5 years now and theres something that's been bugging me that maybe someone else has solved. When I go to brush the pool I have a hard time keeping it extended. However much I crank down the sleeve to tighten the poll, it just doesn't seem to grab well enough. My thoughts on a solution are to put a very rough grit on my belt sander and roughen up the pole, but just curious as to whether or not someone has a different solution?

Durk said:
I usually end up putting a slight bend in them attempting to use the pole for something I shouldn't. Then they never collapse even if you want them to. I've got two like that right now.

I've bent a few and had some bent by others. My solution for that is an very old heavy commercial pole that is hard to bend AND it slips also, which leads me to........ I've seen, on a couple of sites, replacement fittings for poles. It's been a while since I purchased a new one so I can't remember if they start out that way. I wonder if being in the sun does something to the fitting? Also, sand and other grit seem to affect their function.

I like to keep three poles handy. One is the attachment end of a bent one. I put the "person" end in recycle. It is great for quick brushing of steps and seat and edges of shallow end without having to fiddle with attachments.

gg=alice

Yup, I've got a 'Stubby' with no top end, too. Easier to switch poles to go short than mess with those stinkin' plastic adjusting cuffs. I used to have a REALLY old one that screwed together in the center. It was super heavy duty. Unfortunately I ran over it with the Farmall tractor coming in for a dip on a hot day with mowing dust in my eyes.

I forgot. I purchased one explicitly for the spa. BIG DUH I realized later. The only difference is the spa pole has sections that are just shorter; no other difference. I could have cut the last bent one down to size. :roll: But I do, also, like having three so handy. :wink:

I had a full time helper a few years ago. Whenever I or we had to be away from home she would do the pool for me. She was prone to temper tantrums (not to us or the dogs but to her family mostly). Every time I left her in charge I could count on having to purchase a new pole. :rant:

I keep the ss big brush, with a Brush Booster (attachment that makes any brush similar to Whale Wall), on the heavy duty pole. On the intact lighter pole the Whale Wall, and the short one used for small ss brush and Pool Blaster (Buster). On the rare occasions I have to use the big leaf net, or the Leaf Eater, it's the heavy pole for sure.

Bummer about your accident with pole. :cry: I've never seen any of the heavy poles at any Pool stores I've been in. I'll bet one can be found on the Internet though. Probably will cost a pretty penny.

gg=alice

Excellent question. :goodjob: I had the same problem with mine. I would just start to brush the pool when I noticed the pole was getting shorter. Really irritating. :rant: I actually took a metal file and roughed up the pole where I usually extend it to. Work's a lot better now. Just go around the pole with the roughing up not up and down. Hope this help.

You could do this as well. Drill holes all the way through to the other side. Get a pin to put through the hole and hold it in place. When you do this, then the pole can not go down any.

So basically drill a hole and get a screw to put in the hole. Put a nut on the other end and problem is solved. This should stop the pole from moving.

Hope this helps.

It's best to start out with a pole that doesn't have to telescope to begin with, so if you're getting a new one for home use it's a good idea to start with a 12' pole.

You can by replacement external cam's like the one toward the bottom of this page (Blue Devil E-Z Lock Cam). Most pool stores have one or two on the shelf.

spishex said:
It's best to start out with a pole that doesn't have to telescope to begin with, so if you're getting a new one for home use it's a good idea to start with a 12' pole.

You can by replacement external cam's like the one toward the bottom of this page (Blue Devil E-Z Lock Cam). Most pool stores have one or two on the shelf.

Well sometimes when you do this and you are doing the shalow end you dont want a lot of extra pole. So I think that is why people get this kind.

My idea will solve your problems though and still be able to function as it should.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
laurandavid09 said:
You could do this as well. Drill holes all the way through to the other side. Get a pin to put through the hole and hold it in place. When you do this, then the pole can not go down any.

So basically drill a hole and get a screw to put in the hole. Put a nut on the other end and problem is solved. This should stop the pole from moving.

Hope this helps.

hmm.. this might work. I have a little hand truck with an adjustable handle and two pins that push through a hole and have a curved part grabs the outside of the pole to let the pin click in place (hard to describe, but if you've seen them, you'll know what I'm talking about. I think the diameter is about right for me to just re-use those pins. I'll have to give that a shot.

I would routinely run into the collapsing pole problem, as well. My solution was to remove the lower end of the pole and the collar from the friction clamp, and then paint the inside of the "fingers" part of the clamp with "PlastiDip." Wait for it to dry completely (overnight) and reassemble. I haven't had a bit of trouble with it since. I don't have to tighten the clamp very much at all to get it to hold flawlessly, but it is still easy to loosen and collapse the pole.

After you dip the clamp, and before the plastic dries, be sure that you remove any plastic from between the fingers. You want the plastic to coat the inside of each finger. You will likely need to make sure the the plastic wraps around the end of each finger onto the outside edge as well, since otherwise the plastic will have a tendency to peel off.

CurtisT said:
hmm.. this might work. I have a little hand truck with an adjustable handle and two pins that push through a hole and have a curved part grabs the outside of the pole to let the pin click in place (hard to describe, but if you've seen them, you'll know what I'm talking about. I think the diameter is about right for me to just re-use those pins. I'll have to give that a shot.
The hardware store term is a hitch pin clip.
Hitch_Pin_Clips_Demention.gif

After you dip the clamp, and before the plastic dries, be sure that you remove any plastic from between the fingers. You want the plastic to coat the inside of each finger. You will likely need to make sure the the plastic wraps around the end of each finger onto the outside edge as well, since otherwise the plastic will have a tendency to peel off.

This sounds like a great solution, but I'm not sure I understand where the plastic needs to be and where it should be removed. Does this mean apply to the inside of the male piece continuing onto the outside of the piece, and remove from all recesses within that piece, leaving it on the raised parts only?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.