Pump recommendations? (In Ground vs Above Ground models)

May 2, 2008
I've confirmed that my pool pump is dead. Since it's fairly aged (maybe even older than we think) we've decided to go ahead and get a new pump rather than have it repaired.

According to some articles I've read is that we can use an above ground pump on our inground pool since it is fairly small (8500 gallons). Here's an example of such an article:

http://www.poolcenter.com/pumps.htm

To sumamrize:

Aboveground filter systems and small inground pools (under 10,000 gals) should use a Low Head pump like a Maxim, or Dynamo or Power-Flo.

Is this recommendation correct? I would love to go with an AG pump since it is about $100 cheaper for the same HP. The water line is slightly above where our pump is situated.

Also, my old pump was a 1 HP pump. Should I get a 1 HP pump again or go for a 3/4 HP since my pool is on the smaller side?

If it was me ( :shock: ), I would get a 3/4 HP Pentair pump (single speed, two speed or maybe even the Variable Speed, depending on what you need it to do). It's "bigger" than you really need in the 3/4 HP range, but I consider anything smaller a water feature pump and not suitable for a circulation pump.

Doesn't sound like you need to be too concerned with head, but your application sounds pretty typical to most pools, and pumps like to push water, so you should be fine. I would go with a good name brand (which is why I suggested Pentair) even if it costs a bit more (I've never heard of the three mentioned in your post!). You'll get top efficiency and life from it, and you do get what you pay for!

Hope that helps!

Bruce

simicrintz said:
If it was me ( :shock: ), I would get a 3/4 HP Pentair pump (single speed, two speed or maybe even the Variable Speed, depending on what you need it to do). It's "bigger" than you really need in the 3/4 HP range, but I consider anything smaller a water feature pump and not suitable for a circulation pump.

Doesn't sound like you need to be too concerned with head, but your application sounds pretty typical to most pools, and pumps like to push water, so you should be fine. I would go with a good name brand (which is why I suggested Pentair) even if it costs a bit more (I've never heard of the three mentioned in your post!). You'll get top efficiency and life from it, and you do get what you pay for!

Hope that helps!

Bruce
Hi Bruce,

Thanks for your response. I was either going to get a Pentair or Hayward pump whether it be an IG or AG model.

The "Power Flo" and "Maxim" are Hayward models and the "Dynamo" is a Pentair model albeit all three of them are AG models.

No need for a 1 hp. The 3/4 is way more pump than you need and you will get zero benefit from going up to the 1 hp pump except for a bigger electric bill!

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.