Painted Pool...Why?

Nov 13, 2009
I have a painted pool and the paint comes off every time I brush and clogs the DE filter up and then needs taking apart and cleaning.

this is a new client of mine. should I be taking on painted pools? it seems like more work and problems.

Painted pools are always (at least in my experience) a cheap, short term fix for a pool that needs to be redone. Unless the prep and adequate cure time is done properly, there will always be problems (chipping, peeling, chalking).

I would be very careful taking these on as you may end up taking the blame when they "fail", and then the homeowner gives you the "it was fine until you started caring for it" story! Painted pools (again, just my opinion and experience) are a ticking time bomb, and they will go off on you one day!

Like the movie said, "run Forrest, run!" :lol: :lol:

Bruce

simicrintz said:
Painted pools are always (at least in my experience) a cheap, short term fix for a pool that needs to be redone. Unless the prep and adequate cure time is done properly, there will always be problems (chipping, peeling, chalking).

I would be very careful taking these on as you may end up taking the blame when they "fail", and then the homeowner gives you the "it was fine until you started caring for it" story! Painted pools (again, just my opinion and experience) are a ticking time bomb, and they will go off on you one day!

Like the movie said, "run Forrest, run!" :lol: :lol:

Bruce

true. yes I have already encountered it. the pool was clear but no chlorine in it. I added some chlorine (not enough) and it turned green. not only that all the brushing I did took some paint off. the owners said it was ok until I touched it. but I explained to them that the water was not safe to swim in even though it appeared clean. I was able to shock it and clear it up. also got pH up which was way low when I took the pool over.

already had to backwash and recharge many times. also took the filter apart and cleaned it and recharged again. they paid for that one. I have explained to them the problems with the pool and they seem to understand. I'm taking the hit on the D.E. powder though. I think if I knew how much chemical money would be needed to maintain a painted pool I would have asked for more $$$'s.

I have a degree in engineering from a past life. might come in handy after all. I bought some tools the other day and now offer D.E. filter cleaning. as I learn more about the systems I can offer more repair and filter cleaning services. I hear that's where the money is.

There are lots of painted pools in our area and I take them on without question. If the paint is bubbled or clouding a lot when you brush it, it's on the down side of it's life and you should make that known to the customer before you take on the pool.

While there are lots of paint-over-plaster jobs around here, we have just as many paint-on-gunite pools (pools that were painted right from the start). Those are usually done with a chlorinated-rubber paint and can last a long time. I have one that's only now at the end of it's life after running for 12 years. The first ten were on biguanide, so it had a pretty easy life for a while, but impressive nonetheless.

Since they're the fastest to degrade (vs. plaster, vinyl or fiberglass) they're also the most prone to problems caused by poor water balance so keep that in mind.

As for the client you originally posted about, it sounds like that finish is done. Any idea how old it is? I wouldn't recommend leaving it as is. That will just make you and the customer both unhappy. If the customer doesn't already have someone in mind, call around and try to find someone who could take the job without taking the customer. Kind of an awkward situation to be stuck in, but like I said, neither of you will be happy leaving it as is.

spishex said:
There are lots of painted pools in our area and I take them on without question. If the paint is bubbled or clouding a lot when you brush it, it's on the down side of it's life and you should make that known to the customer before you take on the pool.

While there are lots of paint-over-plaster jobs around here, we have just as many paint-on-gunite pools (pools that were painted right from the start). Those are usually done with a chlorinated-rubber paint and can last a long time. I have one that's only now at the end of it's life after running for 12 years. The first ten were on biguanide, so it had a pretty easy life for a while, but impressive nonetheless.

Since they're the fastest to degrade (vs. plaster, vinyl or fiberglass) they're also the most prone to problems caused by poor water balance so keep that in mind.

As for the client you originally posted about, it sounds like that finish is done. Any idea how old it is? I wouldn't recommend leaving it as is. That will just make you and the customer both unhappy. If the customer doesn't already have someone in mind, call around and try to find someone who could take the job without taking the customer. Kind of an awkward situation to be stuck in, but like I said, neither of you will be happy leaving it as is.

Thanks. The client has had the house 2 years and they painted the pool themselves with "good paint". the first pool company messed up the paint with chemicals so there was paint coming off before I got there. The second pool company used to hardly clean the pool although they charged for 2 visits per week. I met zero FC, very very low pH and no TA reading.

do you mean they need it repainted by a professional painter from one of the pool companies? or resurfaced?

Yes, they'll need it either repainted or resurfaced. "Good Paint", eh? I've heard that one a few times. Unfortunately it takes a little more than just one good product.

Low pH will kill paint quickly and is likely the reason it's chipping off now. I read your other post about the black algae. I assume that's this pool? Every little nook that's left behind from a paint chip creates a great spot for algae to take hold. It's a tough battle.

spishex said:
Yes, they'll need it either repainted or resurfaced. "Good Paint", eh? I've heard that one a few times. Unfortunately it takes a little more than just one good product.

Low pH will kill paint quickly and is likely the reason it's chipping off now. I read your other post about the black algae. I assume that's this pool? Every little nook that's left behind from a paint chip creates a great spot for algae to take hold. It's a tough battle.

yes this pool.

ah low pH...that makes sense.

so my best bet is to get all levels balanced out. especially the CYA first otherwise I'll be spending a fortune in chlorine to kill and keep the algae away.

spishex said:
Yes, get it balanced, maintain FC on the high side and create as much motion across the surface where the algae is cropping up as you can by directing a return at it. Brush often.

Thanks. yes got 2 jets pushing water really well on the surface. might even raise pH via aeration? maybe?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
IslandPool said:
spishex said:
Yes, get it balanced, maintain FC on the high side and create as much motion across the surface where the algae is cropping up as you can by directing a return at it. Brush often.

Thanks. yes got 2 jets pushing water really well on the surface. might even raise pH via aeration? maybe?

If they're pointed toward the surface of the water, perhaps. I meant the painted surface of the pool.

spishex said:
IslandPool said:
spishex said:

If hey're pointed toward the surface of the water, perhaps. I meant the painted surface of the pool.

oh yeah. Thats a thought. :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.