Aqua-plus SWG not reading accurate salt level/cell temp

Nov 15, 2009
Mount Dora, FL
I installed the Aqua-plus system in my pool about two years ago. Every thing was fine until today when I went out to check the system. Three days ago the salt level read 3100, today it read 1900 and the diagnostic menu showed the cell temp sensor at 1260F.

First I had the water checked at my pool store and they confirmed the salt level of 3100. I then cleaned the cell in a 2:1 mixture of water/muriatic acid. When I activate the the cell using the diagnostic menu the salt drops immediately to the 1900 level and the unit stops operating with the salt level too low message, and the cell temp reads over 1250 every time.

I have seen other forum threads that describe this problem but have not seen any solutions.

Can anyone help me solve this problem? :?

hklinker said:
I installed the Aqua-plus system in my pool about two years ago. Every thing was fine until today when I went out to check the system. Three days ago the salt level read 3100, today it read 1900 and the diagnostic menu showed the cell temp sensor at 1260F.

First I had the water checked at my pool store and they confirmed the salt level of 3100. I then cleaned the cell in a 2:1 mixture of water/muriatic acid. When I activate the the cell using the diagnostic menu the salt drops immediately to the 1900 level and the unit stops operating with the salt level too low message, and the cell temp reads over 1250 every time.
Welcome to TFP! :)

1) When you say that the salt level drops to 1900, do you mean the "Instant Salt" value displayed at the Diagnostic menu -- or -- the average "Salt Level" displayed on the default menu? If you were monitoring Instant Salt, compare this to the Salt Level displayed on the default menu.

2) What is the displayed voltage and current amps when the unit is turned on?

3) When the cell temperature is reported to be 126 degrees, what is the water temperature as reported by your controller or by checking the pool water with thermometer? Do you have a pool or spa heater that's turned on? Do you have solar-heated water?

4) Have you had any problems with your water chemistry lately? Do you test for calcium hardness, alkalinity, CYA? If yes, what are the latest test results? Have you shocked recently?

5) Have you received any messages in the last few weeks regarding water flow, such as "Low Flow" or "Chk Flow Switch"?

Answering these questions may help to diagnose the problem or at least rule out things that are not causing the problem. Sometimes, the system just needs rebooting, so you can try turning off the power for a minute or two. Note which messages are first shown when the system comes back on. Try reversing the polarity a few times via the diagnostic menu -- wait 5 minutes or so between reversals.

On my system, the Diagnostic menu reports on a.) cell voltage b.) current (amps) c.) water temperature at cell and d.) "instant" salt. When the cell is operating, it typically reports:

+23.45V
+4.75A
84°
3200PPM

It's important to note that "instant" salt is just a derived calculation based on volts, current and water temperature (at the cell.) You'll want to be sure there is sufficient power reaching the salt cell and that the sensor that determines water flow is operational and reporting back to the controller properly. The reported cell temperature is suspicious so that might be an indication that the cell electronics are bad or the system controller board is faulty.

Finally, from what I've read the Goldline units seem susceptible to imbalanced, oversaturated and turbid water. Any one of these issues might affect cell performance or entirely circumvent the cell's electrolytic function. High levels of salt, Total Dissolved Solids, Calcium and Alkalinity could be contributing factors. If you are able to rule out all of these things, run continuity checks to the cell, flow switch, temperature probe, and controller. At that point, your only options are probably replacement of cell and/or controller board, but let the Hayward techs take a crack at this first. Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.