Will low pump speed limit heating?

coog61

Nov 6, 2009
Richmond, TX
Up to now I've had no problem with the Max-E-Therm heater quickly warming up the spa. However I have turn down the VS pump from 3000 to 2000 rpm and the heater would not go above 82 deg. It showed it was still heating up, but the temp did not change. Starting water temp was 75. I turned the pump back up to the max (3450), and the heater went to the set temp.
Is there a cause and effect with the pump speed? :?:

You have to have enough pressure on the flow switch to get the heater to run. Sounds like you are too low on pressure at low speed to fully close the switch.

Bruce

Most heaters these days contain both a pressure switch and a thermal limit switch. The low speed pressure may be enough to keep the pressure switch closed so the heater will turn on. However, because the water is flowing slower through the heat exchanger it will heat up to a higher temperature at the outlet. This may be enough to trip the thermal limit switch and turnoff the heater until it can cool down. But it should give some sort of error condition that requires a manual reset. If not, it could be cycling on and off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.