Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOUND ~ 1 Bug!! :(

1. Back To Top    #1

FOUND ~ 1 Bug!! :(

HELP!!! I was cleaning out stuff from the pool this evening, and I saw something black darting around under the water... When I shined my headlight on it (it was very dark out), the bug (or whatever it was) took off.... Of course, I panicked...... LOL So I grabbed the skimmer, and searched for the little bugger, scooped it up, and to my shock, when I took it out of the water, it started flopping like a fish out of water, and it was a shiny silverish color ........ Before I had a chance to think rationally, I flung the critter away from the pool-----wasn't about to let the quick little devil back into my pool, nooo way sir, only to realize I shouldn't have flung it, but instead taken a photo of it so I could show you all and ask----What in the world was it?

So, can anyone shed any light on just what I had found in my pool?????? Thanks for your help in advance
    15ft Round x 42" High
    Quick Set AG Vinyl pool
    3200 gallons
    RP800 Filter System/F700C Pump-- approx 780 GPH--min run time= 4.1 hours
    Location: South Dakota (and now a BBB girl, who just aint to great with chemistry LOL)

2. Back To Top    #2
    I don't remember the specific names, but there are water bugs that search out, well, water in which to hunt

They're predators, looking for other bugs. They also can fly.

They're harmless, and usually leave when they find there's no food, as is usually the case in a well maintained TFP

3. Back To Top    #3
    Sounds like it is most likely a water boatmen. What size is it? A regular size for a bug or quite large?

dan
    21' Aqua-Leader AGP (10,200 gallons).
    Hayward cartridge filter and two speed pump.
    Aqua-Cal HeatWave 100k (HeatPump)
    Salt 3200ppm (in non-salt water pool)
    Borates 20ppm (slowly raising)
    Aqua-Rite SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

Does sound like water boatmen to me. we have them in our pool from time to time. They have liitle wings that look like boat oars they use to swim. They like to live in the nooks and crannies (return jets, light fixtures) and they come to the surface for air. Apparently they can bite, and if you throw them away from your pool, make sure you throw them far or squish them.

5. Back To Top    #5
    We've only had one of these so far. Didn't freak me out too much as I remember these from my pool growing up as a kid. Ours was black and had the oar looking things on each side that it swam with. Very fast little buggers. I did manage to get it out of the pool but I didn't throw it very far cause I was trying to get it out and it was so QUICK!LOL That was a few weeks ago. Haven't seen any more since.
    27' Round AGP, 17200 GAL, 2 HP/2 SPD Pump/Cartridge Filter.......BBB!

6. Back To Top    #6

well it sure didn't swim into your pool, so i imagine it flew.
    My Pool - 18x24 fully setup Cabana, 22x48 gunite/quartz plaster (3-5-3 depth) & 8' spa w/ spill and 5' natural rock waterfall; Hayward DE filter/pumps/heater; Hayward Pro Logic controller; Phantom cleaner. Finished 06/01/07.

RedishConstruction.com

7. Back To Top    #7

I don't think they fly, but they can hop a good distance.

8. Back To Top    #8

Did it look like this?

or more like this?

They both bite and they both can fly. All beetles can fly. The first is the water boatmen and the second the a water beetle or predaceous diving beetle. The water beetle can take quite a chuck out of you if it bites you. The water boatmen not so bad, but you will feel it.
    Hey, who removed the filter from the gene pool!

9. Back To Top    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck
    A while back I scooped a big boatman out of our pool. He landed, turned, and started hopping back towards the pool. I was in the pool, between him and the pool. He got about 3 feet from me, stared me down, then took off like a rocket over my head. Scared the... well, thank God for FC

I turned quickly, expecting to see him land, but he was flying, and I was able to track him until he was well out of sight.

Blew my mind

10. Back To Top    #10

Usually, once or twice a year I find a big old "sewer" roach in my skimmer. Just had one the other day - It was about 4 inches long and about an inch wide. They fly and look like small bats.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by Buggsw
    Usually, once or twice a year I find a big old "sewer" roach in my skimmer. Just had one the other day - It was about 4 inches long and about an inch wide. They fly and look like small bats.
    is that the same as a palmetto bug?

12. Back To Top    #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Buggsw
    is that the same as a palmetto bug?
    no, I'm in Florence SC (the palmetto state) and a Palmetto bug is basicly a roach that flies...I hate those things.
    14 x 32 x 6 (ave depth) 20K gallons - IG gunite pool. Challenger 1.5 hp pump and cartridge filter.

13. Back To Top    #13

I have no idea. I know my folks talked about Palmetto bugs when they lived in Florida. I've never heard them called that, here.
    Buggs

14,000 gallon, in ground, plaster, free form, play pool.
    Sta-Rite Max-E-Glass with a 1.5 hp Emerson motor
    WaterCo Micron High Rate sand filter S750 490 lb, 4883 sq ft - using ZeoBest
    In floor Polaris cleaning system
    Blue Diamond robot for those after storm days when I can't wait overnight for the in floor to clean it.

14. Back To Top    #14

I used to live near Miami, and those things were big and nasty. The other nasty thing I remember were those hugh toads
    that were flattened by cars... their pancake bodies would last in the streets for weeks.

15. Back To Top    #15

I had a rather large roach swimming right next to where I was about to pour some bleach. I found out if I pour bleach directly on the roach it will die a sudden death and sink right to the bottom.

I didn't tell my wife about this.
    20K IG Fiberglass, 3/4 hp Sand, Hayward ColorLogic

16. Back To Top    #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangeball
    A while back I scooped a big boatman out of our pool. He landed, turned, and started hopping back towards the pool. I was in the pool, between him and the pool. He got about 3 feet from me, stared me down, then took off like a rocket over my head. Scared the... well, thank God for FC

I turned quickly, expecting to see him land, but he was flying, and I was able to track him until he was well out of sight.

Blew my mind

LOL! I can picture this entire scene!

Those beetles pictured above. I have never, ever seen one in our pool BUT there are usually always about 2-3 (sometimes more) in the skimmer every morning when I clean it out.
    27' Round AGP, 17200 GAL, 2 HP/2 SPD Pump/Cartridge Filter.......BBB!

17. Back To Top    #17

The number 1 re-occuring insect in our pool has to be spiders... man they are everywhere, just becuase they can walk on water
    they think its their own personal pond... except when they try and get out!

18. Back To Top    #18
    Does anyone else rescue bugs from their pool?

Spiders, bees, wasps, they all get a pass from me. I find them floating and living, I give them a helping hand to safety.

Other bugs as well. Even crickets

Circle of life and all...

That said, I've never had occasion to save a roach. Thank God...

19. Back To Top    #19

Spiders get a pass since they eat bugs. Crickets are usually dead by the time I reach them. Boatmen... toast!

20. Back To Top    #20
    I rescue every bug that I see.
    I also leave a couple of pool noodles floating around in there for bugs to climb on and save themselves.

I figure in the next life, I might be the bug.........
    Fort Wayne IG Vinyl 18 x 36 (22,000 G)
    3/4 hp Pentair Pump
    Sand Filter
    Polaris 280 w/ booster pump
    Chlorine
    No heater yet...solar cover
    Mount Airy, NC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast