Can you recommend a Robotic CLeaner?

Jun 14, 2009
I have a 16000 gallon 16 x 32 free form salt pool, Depth is 6 feet. There are no real trees and the only thing that I get grass when ever the yard is mowed.

I am considering purchasing a Robotic cleaner. What units should I be looking at? Currently I have the Quatro x7 from Zodiac and it sucks, I have never gotten it to work :( One thing that concerns me about the robotic is that I have a conversation pit with a table inside the pool, will the power cord from the robot wrap itself around the pole that holds the table?

Thanks for the help in advanced.

redemption said:
I have a 16000 gallon 16 x 32 free form salt pool, Depth is 6 feet. There are no real trees and the only thing that I get grass when ever the yard is mowed.

I am considering purchasing a Robotic cleaner. What units should I be looking at?

Will the power cord from the robot wrap itself around the pole that holds the table?
Welcome to the TFP, redemption... :-D

Dissatisfaction with one's pool cleaner must rank very high on the list of pool owner woes. You can find enthusiastic testimonials for any particular cleaner and often an equal number of dissenters who hate the product. Sometimes it's just a matter of finding a cleaner that works for you, most of the time, in your own pool.

The Zodiac X7 Quattro Suction Pool Cleaner is promoted by the company as having a "unique ability to get around obstacles." A conversation island with a table supported by a pole certainly qualifies as an obstacle. This could present a challenge to any automatic pool cleaner with a hose or power cord. If the table and pole can be removed before cleaning, this could be a partial solution to the problem. How are you cleaning your pool right now?

If you have money to burn, there is at least one cleaner on the market that is untethered -- running on battery power. Like all robotics, it has an internal filter so doesn't require a hose connection. I imagine its retail price to be in the neighborhood of $2500-$4000. Check out the following links.

http://www.amerimerc.com/inground-swimm ... attery.htm
http://dolphin.maytronics.com/en-gb/res ... s-battery/
http://dolphin.maytronics.com/Media/Upl ... /plusB.pdf

Right now i been cleaning the pool by hand, I do not clean it regularly but we do not use it all the time. I do have a quad pentair filter and the intelliflo, it keeps the water Cristal clear.

I will certainly look at your suggestions, the problem for the quatro is not that it gets wrapped on the conversation pit, it keeps getting stuck on the steps. They changed the flappers and gave me the circle to keep it from getting stuck on the steps and it still gets stuck. That aside in order to run it and clean my pool i have to ramp up the intelliflo, so it would take away from my savings to have this thing running. Unfortunately the table is not removable :(

Anyone else with suggestions please offer them! Right now i was looking at the AQUABOT T4.

redemption said:
Anyone else with suggestions please offer them! Right now i was looking at the AQUABOT T4.
I haven't heard anything good or bad about the Aquabot T4's reliablity, but it appears that it would climb stairs with ease. A hefty bot with a hefty price. You might consider chatting up the company to see if they think your table/post would be a problem for the power cord. If you decide instead to replace your current suction-side cleaner with another of the same kind, do a bit of research on The Pool Cleaner (aka "POOLVERGNUEGEN".) I've heard generally good things about them.

http://www.thepoolcleaner.com/4xpoolcleaner.html

Thanks for your reply, I think I read on this forum about that cleaner and it certainly would work for me. I believe that it does not require allot of suction to operate it, that i something I want on a cleaner.

I have the Jacuzzi Tracker 4X that is essentially The Pool Cleaner (aka "POOLVERGNUEGEN"). I think POOLVERGNUEGEN bought out Jacuzzi. The Tracker 4X is about $100 cheaper though. It also comes in a 2 wheel version that is more suitable for smaller pools. The main difference is the amount of time it travels before doing its turns/repositions.

I have great suction from main drain and skimmer. I don't have a dedicated suction line for cleaner so to get the best suction, especially when the filter is getting dirty, I do restrict the main drain. As the filter collects more fine stuff I'll then have to totally close the main drain. BUT very few people have the extreme environment that I have AND my filter is undersized.

Of my three cleaners (see signature) the Tracker is the best for me for the fine debris on the bottom and doesn't stir it up much as it is cleaning. Out of my three, though, the Tracker is the worst at getting up our massive amounts of leaves. The Polaris is best for that.

If most of your debris is floating grass an inexpensive way to clean that up pretty quickly is the PoolSkim, that attaches to one of your returns. For my first and second one I had to reduce some of the flow to one then two of the remaining returns.

Wish I could help you more on obstructions but I don't have any. I would think, though, that the power cord on one of the "automatic robots" might give you the most issues with tangling. They tend to tangle anyway unless you are diligent about untwisting the cord periodically.

For your situation, I would lean more towards the Tracker or The Pool Cleaner (aka "POOLVERGNUEGEN") or something along that line. It would, also, be a good idea to get an inline "leaf trap" to catch the grass before it makes it to your pump pot basket.

gg=alice

Well I finally made the purchase, I ended up going with the Aquabot Viva. The main reason was that it has an option to clean only the bottom of the pool, so hopefully it will not get tangled on my conversation pit table. I also wanted something that did not use my filtration system, hope the unit performs as advertised! I was able to scoop it up for $1450 new!!!

Wanted to update this post. It is now two years later, I am still using the Viva and I am really pleased with the purchase. The controller died about two months after my purchase, but I called the company and they where great. They replaced it, no questions asked. No other problems since then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.