Help Needed DE Filter with push pull valve-First Timer

Sep 24, 2009
Spring, TX
Ok I just backwashed out my filter yesterday. After I backwashed my filter I then added the new DE to the filter. I backwashed a few times and finally all I saw was clear water. The pressure went down to around 8-10 from around 18 or so. So I come home today there is still better pressure than was prior to backwash, but not as good as it was. Also the pressure has moved up to about 15 or so, which seems like a pretty quick move in pressure upwards. Now the return jets are putting out pressure but not as much, but more than prior to the backwash. Is there a possiblity that the filter could have already gotten dirty again, as this afternoon I can clearly see to the bottom even in the deep end and prior to that I could not, or maybe I added to much DE. Should I maybe backwash again and see if that helps or take it apart and manually clean it?

If I need to take it apart, how hard is this to do and put back. This would be my first time.

laurandavid09 said:
If I need to take it apart, how hard is this to do and put back. This would be my first time.

It does depend on which DE filter you have as to how easy or hard it will be. Most DE filters are very similar. Our resident experts will "hold your hand" through it although you probably won't need any "hand holding". You might want to take pictures as you disassemble so you can spend less time trying to figure out what goes where and how when you put it all back together again. If you have the manual that helps. Also, if you don't have the manual, most can be found on the Internet. It really isn't very difficult as long as you follow directions and practice all safety measures. Remember the filter is under intense pressure, most of the time, until you release the pressure. Please make sure there is no way the system will come on while you are doing it.

It would help if you post the make of your filter in your signature.

More qualified guys and gals will be along soon to assist you. :-D

gg=alice

Picture of DE filter that had not been taken apart to clean and soak for a year. It had gone through one spring clean up of pool water sitting over winter, uncovered, and then most of the summer with lots of silt. It was backwashed once a week, and twice a week for a month before taking apart to clean/soak/replace some grids. UGLY :hammer:

Note the DE between grids that compacted and did not get removed with backwashing 4 times each backwashing, till water ran clear. This is an extreme case :shock: so your filter probably won't look this bad.

IMG_3334.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.