Do you cover your pool equipment?

newpull said:
This will be my first winter with an in-ground pool. Do any of you cover your equipment (filter, pump, etc.)?
Hi Newpull,

From the posts I've read, it seems that a good number of members from the Mid-Atlantic (and elsewhere) cover their pool equipment for the winter using everything from plastic sheets to custom enclosures made of wood, metal and abs plastic. Many here favor removing the filter, the pump or both into a protected area... garage, shed, etc.

There are a few folks on the forum from temperate winter regions that use a minimalist approach to winter closing; they may have their own secrets as to how they protect pool equipment.

Though I don't need to close my pool (No. Calif) and nothing is covered for the winter, I've become aware that there is an environmental cost to equipment that is left open to the sun, rain, wind and snow all year long. After only two years, I see evidence of the weather at my pad: equipment labels fading, paint peeling, bolts rusting etc.

We live near Allentown, PA.

We don't cover the pool itself but we do cover the filter and pump with a tarpaulin to keep snow, ice and debris off it. We disconnect all of the plumbing and stuff the openings with bubble wrap to keep the mice out. We drain the filter and store its top, the drain plug, and any O-rings from any of the equipment inside the house.
We keep the wedding cake steps on the deck, tied to the railing, but don't cover it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.