Extreme oxidation in Weber Spirit grill

Torrente

Gold Supporter
May 17, 2018
Panama City, Panama
Hello, I had extreme oxidation on my Weber Spirit grill in just 4 years, I live in Panama with humid weather and lot of rain but I use to put the cover in the grill when I do not use it. The oxidation is such extreme as one of the wheels connexions to the case has broken.

I went to the local dealer but they are telling me that the warranty does not cover oxidation:-? , if that is the case I would need to purchase of a new one, previously I bought Weber by recommendation of a friend telling me that the quality is excellent, in fact he has one for more than 10 years in similar weather. For sure I would not go for the same model but I would appreciate some feedback and recommendation about what to purchase and the care that I should take to avoid this in the future.

I enclose some photos.

Thank you!
a79a24590898f93e9d2df40e69c1eb53.jpg
ecc03ebe12d5dc76162be21bd22429f7.jpg

0d10bb30a504f6ef77c3df07da309f3a.jpg

Sorry to see your grill falling apart like that. I would contact Weber directly as they are a very good company and make a very good grill! Even if no is the first answer be persistent and perhaps at the worst you can negotiate a very reduced price and at best you get a new one with cover and promise to store it in a different location...

welcome to the new and improved world of cheaper prices and chinese built equipment... your friends 10 year old grill will last 5 years past your new grill...

We are all to blame for it, we demand cheaper prices and this is what we get.... I have started looking for quality over price and it is always WAY more expensive but it lasts longer...

Unfortunately the Spirit series from Webber is the entry level series, and therefore is not made with the best materials to keep price down.

I strongly recommend given your location that you go with the stainless steel Genesis series.
With that being said, give Webber a call and explain your circumstances and see what they have to say. As Cliff mentioned, they may give you a credit towards the purchase of a new one.
Good luck! :cheers:

Even the Genesis Weber grills sold in big box are made cheaper and not just less expensive. If you have a dedicated shop that sells high end grills they will be better made. I have a 12 year old Weber Genesis still going strong. Warranty replaced the SS burners. I purchased new SS flavour bars. I had to replace the spark plug ignition system. I have had the same Grill on both Canadian coasts. I never cover mine as the cover traps in moisture. I am in good shape as both setups boast covered decks. Very little rain or snow, and I use mine 300 plus days a year. The dealers did not recommend covering them.
Yes I have some oxidation, but it won't eat through. Merely cosmetic. I expect to get another 10 years from the grill.

As for the service I have had great service. Talk to Weber Ducane directly....as many times as it takes.

Wow, that's pretty bad.

I have a Weber Silver series, old model. I bought it used off craigslist for $75. Needed new burner covers, grates, and warming racks, as they were rusted out. I was able to buy new burner covers and racks, stainless ones, from Weber for $75. I couldn't get warming racks in stainless. My brother ended up TIG welding some stainless warming racks for my birthday. But as to the grill, I was now $150 in, cheaper than almost the cheapest of the cheap junk you could buy anywhere, and it worked great. It's been over 7 years, stored outdoors in rain, snow, etc, probably used on average once a week (including while covered in snow). Still going strong. As near as I can figure, this was at least 6+ years old when I bought it as this model had been changed, so it's 13+ years old. My model doesn't have an enclosed bottom section. Very little rust, I think they actually used aluminum in a number of places, like the hood. Not sure what I'll buy after it finally bites the dust.

An example of something made too well!
Vermont Castings made excellent grills. So good that they lasted and lasted and no one needed parts, therefore few parts were sold and the company is gone. If you find a used Vermont Castings it just might need parts and they are no longer available.
Not sure if parts can be fitted from other grills.

I had exact same issue a while back with my Weber Genesis. The grill was close to the salt water pool and was often splashed with water. By the time I noticed the issue it was already too late. I end up ordering new parts from Weber and rebuilding the grill. This was not covered by the warranty but Weber support did provide me with a great discount and great customer service. I end up using the grill for the next 5 years and just replaced it recently in the past 2 months.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.