Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral VX 7T
G'Day guys

Good to be back!
After a few months of hibernation, Australia is slowly waking up!

I hope i'm in the right forum though.

I've got limited budget and I can only afford one of those 2 items.
Which one do you think I should go for?

1- a new SWG cell: mine's busted and barely generates any chlorine. I'm happy to use LC in the meantime. Was easy in winter with low consumption. In summer i'm looking at at least 4ppm a day (1.2l of 12.5% LC), priced at $16/15l

2- a new pump: currently 1HP single speed, looking at 2 speed for lower energy consumption (and saving $$$). Pool is basic with no features and only a Polaris 360 for now (looking at robotic cleaner in the next few years). Current pump works well. 2h/day for now but will be looking at minimum 8h/day in summer.

Thanks for your expert advice.

it looks like it will cost you about a dollar a day for chlorine, so the next 6 months will cost about $180 to $200 to keep the pool clear...

depending on how much electricity it costs to run your pump will determine the outcome... is there any way to find a used 2 speed or maybe a great sale on a new one....

hmmm, if it were me I would replace my SWG cell today if it went out but I can only get 1 gallon jugs of 10% at $2.50 a gallon and I really do not like hauling chlorine :)

Hi all

Just received my replacement generic cell.
Working great, no more amber light, and releasing FC full speed.

Below see my old plates.
They would be about 5-6 years old, genuine install according to previous owner.
Is that what they should look like after 5 years? Or is there an underlying problem?

Previous owner was doing shop testing and balancing, whereas I've been using TFP method for the past 15 months or so.

Note when I bought the house 18 months ago, there was lots of calcium deposits on the plates, had to clean them up with diluted MA solution.

Thanks

IMG_0771.jpg

Is that what they should look like after 5 years? Or is there an underlying problem?

Looks like they have had some calcium buildup - Who knows how often the original owner cleaned the cell with acid.

Everytime the cell is cleaned with acid it degrades the plates, so the more frequent the cleaning the faster the plates degrade.

Previous owner was doing shop testing and balancing

Say no more....:)

Stick to TFP methodology and your new cell will require minimal mtce over its lifetime.

Keep track of CSI levels and you will have no issue with calcium buildup thereby not requiring your cell to be cleaned with acid regularly.

My last cell lasted 9 years and I rarely cleaned it with acid. If you keep the pool CSI slightly negative, it reduces the amount of calcium buildup on the cell so you don't need to clean it as often thereby extending the life of the cell.

Thanks Mark,

My CSI has been constant between -0.3 and 0 since I have adopted TFP method 15 months ago. And I keep my salt levels 200ppm above manufacturers recommendations to allow for splashing, backwashes, etc...
As mentioned the previous owner was shop testing and balancing, which could explain early cell failure (5 years since install) and plates condition.

What I would like to know is if the plates are meant to look like this, assuming the damage was made only by bad chemistry and frequent cleaning? In that case I'm confident my new cell will last a long time.

Or is there another reason, in which case I need to look into it so I don't need a new cell in 4 years time...

I'm thinking maybe physical abrasion instead of chemical? Maybe sand, which would mean broken laterals?

Thank you

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.