Suggestion: Pool Party Section

Jun 30, 2008
Suffolk County, NY
Just a quick suggestion:

I think it would be great to have a section devoted to pool parties, and outdoor parties...
People can speak about everything from how they prepare their pool the week and day of the party, to the food, decorations, capacity of pool, types of drinks, etc etc etc...

I bet tons of people here enjoy throwing those backyard pool parties and this forum is a great reference...

Just a thought.

mitch08 said:
I think it would be great to have a section devoted to pool parties, and outdoor parties...
People can speak about everything from how they prepare their pool the week and day of the party, to the food, decorations, capacity of pool, types of drinks, etc etc etc...

I bet tons of people here enjoy throwing those backyard pool parties and this forum is a great reference...

I hope that my pathetic tale won't be seen as a bad harbinger by those who want to write about more joyous (or raucous) occasions in this thread, or in a new section.

My year-long fantasy of hosting a 4th of July pool party to celebrate the opening of my pool & spa after endless months of planning, construction, and fretting... evaporated at 9:16 AM Pacific Daylight Time, on a Tuesday, the third week of June 2007.

That was the moment when I realized that all swimming pool contractors are lying, cheating, no-good scoundrels of the lowest order. Their fellow conspirators, the city building inspectors (each and all worthless, conniving, petty, miserable vermin) had squandered weeks of late spring and early summer in a state of subdued confusion. Paper reports, undated and illegible, were misplaced, inspections scheduled but then forgotten. And so it goes…

It was an inauspicious morning that the city department of transportation joined my other foes, rolling several large pieces of equipment on to my little cul-de-sac to begin street resurfacing (an asphalt overlay that would take a full week to complete.) This effectively banishing rolling stock to outlying neighborhoods, and greatly reduced the risk that a building inspector or sub who was sober enough to drive would inadvertently show up to work.

So it was the party that never was. The pool was completed a full two months later, in August, but interest had waned and the invitations were never sent. I quietly shelved plans to find and kill each of the city inspectors. And I’ve mostly forgiven the general contractor, for all his sins… and those I imagined.

The booze still takes up cabinet space—someday we’ll drink it.

(catharsis, in utero, so to speak)

mitch08 said:
Just a quick suggestion:

Just a thought.

Mitch I think that is a great idea. After all, poolparties is a big reason why you build a pool in the first place :party: atleast for us..
//Mats

duraleigh said:
Booze does have a shelf life, sorry to tell ya.
Really? Well, it must be longer than 4 hours 'cause I've never noticed it. :shock:

LOL!!!

Most liquor doesn't really have a shelf life. Obviously wines do to a degree depending on the type and how they are stored. Obviously creamy stuff with milk contents can go bad.

But whiskys, vodkas, etc... That stuff will outlive us all :cheers:

frustratedpoolmom said:
Cream based, like Baileys or Kaluha, also "flavored" ones - 6 months - like "coconut" or fruit-flavored vodkas.

Yes, Rasberry (my personal favorite) has a shelf life of 1-2 weeks, at most. :mrgreen: :p :mrgreen: , even less when camping :cheers:
Oooh, an alcohol longevity expert! :wink:

At one time I had an somewhat undeserved reputation in my family for imbibing (in my mid-20s). My grandparents hosted parties but were themselves the kind of social drinkers that get mistaken for teetotalers. But as hosts they accumulated an impressive array of dry scotches and whiskeys and liquers, some had been opened but most were back bar stock fifths. At least a decade after their last party, I was in town to visit them and they were anxious to make me feel welcome. Before dinner was served, a score of bottles set on a tray appeared on a side board and my grandmother graciously invited me over to mix a cocktail. I recall that at least one or two of the whiskeys survived. Old Bushmills, Jim Beam and the like. The liquers aged poorly. The contents of the Chartreuse and Galliano were puzzlingly similar, resembling brown cough syrup. The brandy I took had been corked but tasted of cod liver oil more than distilled grape fermentation. Don't know what happened to that cache of ancient bottles. It wouldn't surprise me if my mother is keeping it in a closet for one of her children's next visits. :|

Henry Porter said:
mitch08 said:
Just a quick suggestion:

Just a thought.

Mitch I think that is a great idea. After all, poolparties is a big reason why you build a pool in the first place :party: atleast for us..
//Mats

I agree with you Mats, it seems like we throw parties every weekend, some small and some very large. The biggest one is usually thanksgiving where we have about 30-40 family and friends. The wife was born to throw and organize parties. When we were building our pool we had before, during and after pool building parties. :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.