Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cheaper Alternative to PH Down

1. Back To Top    #1

Cheaper Alternative to PH Down

I'm new here and very stoked to be a member. We recently bought an Arctic Spa Cub and I immediately found these forums, drained my tub and have started balancing my water with the Taylor kit. However, I found out that our Alkalinity straight out of the faucet is already 250ppm. I'm on my 2nd fill right now(drained my tub on Sunday to begin balancing the water), but Ive already used over 1/4 of the Arctic Spa PH Down and I'd like to find a cheaper alternative that I can buy in bulk for lowering my Alkalinity. Can anybody help me out? Thanks

TJ

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Cheaper Alternative to PH Down

Welcome to the forum!

Muriatic acid. (available at paint stores, Lowe's Home Depot, etc) Used by many, many folks here (me, too). The Pool Calculator will tell you the dosage.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Make sure you read the article in Pool School on "How to Lower TA"....tells you exactly what to do and the Pool Calc tells you how much Muratic Acid you'll need.

Welcome
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

The thing about using muriatic in a spa is, the amount you need to use (in terms of volume) is about the same as dry acid. In general you would use maybe 1 fl oz, at most 2. With dry acid it's not hard to measure and handle these small amounts using a scoop or spoon. Doing the same with a liquid you really don't want to spill, poured out of a gallon jug, is a little trickier.

I'm not saying don't do it; just be aware of what it means. (I use muriatic in my pool but dry acid in my tub, because I don't want to have to be that finicky with the muriatic.)
    --paulr
    BBB "Intermediate Swimmer"
    IG plaster pool 18.5K gal, Hayward Pro-Grid DE filter, 3/4 HP Hydramax II; Polaris 380, 3/4 HP booster
    AG spa 325 gal, probably Sundance of some kind
    Water testing instructions on one page