Adding Absorbic Acid

Because ascorbic acid depletes all of the chlorine in the pool (which is why one usually uses PolyQuat 60 algaecide during the process to help avoid algae growth), one should not swim during this process. After the stains have faded and you've added metal sequestrant, then you slowly start adding chlorine. Once you start measuring a chlorine residual getting close to the recommended Free Chlorine (FC) level for your Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level, then the pool is safe to swim in again.

Now "safe" is always relative and it's your own pool so you can always do whatever you want, but when there is no chlorine in the pool, bacteria can grow quickly and depending on what kind of bacteria are growing, this can become a problem if you take in too much that overwhelms your immune system. Though the risk is low, it is far far lower when chlorine is present.

Just wanted to add that I was advised by one, or more, of our esteemed contributors that the lower the temperature of water is the longer it takes. I did the AA treatment successfully last month. My water temp was about 63 so it took well over a week before all of the stains lifted. During the whole process the water looked great. Actually there was a bit of staining left in one area when I started to bring numbers back to normal but it lifted in a few more days.

It was too cold for me to swim of, course, but the doggies did. One had a Vet appointment yesterday and he had an ear infection that we didn't know he had because he hasn't been shaking or scratching his ear. I'm not sure if he picked it up from the unchlorinated water or had it before starting the treatment. Just wanted to let you know. :)

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.