closing without cover

8corneflakes

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 13, 2009
Fort Wayne, IN
I thought I read somewhere on here that I don't HAVE to cover my pool in the winter. All the leaves have already fallen from the trees and I vacuumed for the last time. It is currently sparkling clean and my numbers are great. Can I winterized everything like I usually do, but leave the cover off this winter?

thanks!

That might of been me. I did cover it this year, cover with water bags and leaf net over. For 4 years I didn't cover the pool. It was a swamp by spring, ducks, mosquitos, scum floating on top. Given my equipment it didn't long to clean up, about 4 days. It would take about 40 gallons of bleach, many backwashes, brushing and vaccuming. On many pools this could be a lengthy proccess and more work. If you can throw a cover on it, save yourself the aggrevation.

On my fifth year with pool here, and I have never used a winter cover.

All my neighbors do, and they all have tons of work in the spring, cleaning off covers and the like. My pool is the same clarity as theirs is. I scoop all leaves out as they come and then once freeze sets in, there is no more work until spring.

For the life of me, I honestly don't know why the cheap pool covers are used, always falling in, water build up on them and all. If I was to use a cover, it would be the one that straps down and you can walk an elephant across them.

that was kind of my feeling about covers. I usually uncover the pool myself. I'm 5 ft tall and 103 pounds. I can't pull the cover off without all the nasty water and leaves falling in. Figured I would leave it open longer and fish out the leaves as they fall. I'm gonna go topless this winter...coverless I mean!

thanks for the super fast advice!

I believe that is just it, the mystery of how to run a pool, always concealed by PB's.

When in fact its sites like this that truly reveal how simple the process is. Lets see, Pool Cover, Bags to hold Cover on (Supposedly), possible pillows to hold cover up, and then a possible pump to pump off excess water. Now on top of that, lets add a leaf cover, which in fact only stops full leaves, but as we all know, leaves tend to break down as they blow around. Go figure.

Its like closing a pool, the big mystery of it all is so simple when one understands the process.

A question I would like posed.

How many Pool Stores have people there that own pools and how many of them are even educated in their field? Same goes for Pool Installation, one can sub contract (which is what most Pool Stores do) and get any pool done for 40% of what the actual costs are.

I will never cover my pool, I enjoy once the water melts, to simply hook up all lines, turn on pump, vacuum once, and voila, my pool is ready to go.

Of course it's no big secret - all you need do is remove the tree debris and as much water as you can before attempting the cover removal :)

A leafnet attachment for your skimmer/ vac poll makes the debris removal easier and you can either use a sump pump or a garden hose to siphon the water off.

Once the cover is ~ debris and water-free, loosen the cable and fold the cover in half (towards the end you want to remove it from). Once it's folded so, pull the cover from the end, making sure that the sides of the cover stay out of the pool. It takes at least 2 people to do this (though one could probably manage it by them self - it'd take an hour :mrgreen: )

As you get your cover 'taco' to the end, you'll realize that 1/4" of water on the cover actually equals numerous gallons which are too heavy to lift :( You can either pump or siphon that water off or 'rock and roll' the cover - pull the cover as much as you can so that the water on the cover splashes out over the rail, repeat until the cover comes off :cool: Keep an eye out to make sure that neither of the cover folds are going in the pool! (It's easier to do it than describe how to do it :x )

Sorry for the delay, I know I wasn't crystal clear in my description :oops: , if you need clarification on this, I'll be happy to further explain :cheers:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.