Requiring advice on filter URGENT.

Jul 31, 2009
Hi all.
I need some advice as to how far my filter should be from the skimmer or to the returns of the pool.

Currently its around 25 mtrs away from the skimmer (im on an acre)
Were getting some pool reno's done and now is the time to re locate it if need be?

Ive been having to literally clean my cartridge filter 3-4 times a week and its driving me insane.
Most of the time there is hardly any dirt at all in the cartridge.
Reason i have to clean it so much is that the salt cell drops to about half and risks burning the unit out.

Im hoping moving it closer would help!?
Filter is a waterco single cartridge 180 sqr ft.
Water held is 60 000 litres = 15 850.3231 US gallons

Any advice would be muchly appreciated.
Thanks!

I deleted a duplicate post in the Product Reviews forum... please post your question only to one forum... multiple postings will not get you an answer any faster, and can cause confusion!

Sorry I cannot answer your question, but someone will be along shortly!

25 meters is a long way. Remember, the flow goes in both directions. Closer is better. Less water weight to push/pull. 10 to 15 meters is, IMHO, more reasonable.

What size is the pump?
What size is the plumbing?
How old is the cartridge?
When was the last time it was decreased?
What salt system are you using?
What is the water temp?
What is the salt level?
pH, Alk, CYA,?

All these can have a bearing in what is happening.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Ive been having to literally clean my cartridge filter 3-4 times a week and its driving me insane.
Most of the time there is hardly any dirt at all in the cartridge.
Reason i have to clean it so much is that the salt cell drops to about half and risks burning the unit out.

Im hoping moving it closer would help!?
I'm sorry to be so obtuse, but could you restate the issue? The distance of your piping would have little effect on cleaning your filter.......or not very much else for that matter.

I am trying but I cannot understand why you have to clean the filter (when there is no dirt in it) to prevent your SWG from "burning out"

Ask risk of being in violent agreement wit the other guys answering - I dont get it.

Couple of things 25M is a long way for a filtration run and as stated before, the run is actually double that.
I put in a booster pump for a jacuzzi on a 20 meter run because the flow from a 1HP pump was starting to feel weak.

Water flowing in the pipes creates resistance or friction and increases the load on the pump and decreases GPM.

Whats your normal filter pressure after a backwash?

What do you mean SWG cell "drops to half" ?? will burn out- are you getting a low flow reading?

Davegvg

I have a 2HP pump.
My reading on the filter is usually around the 140 kpa and within hours its up to 190 kpa.
The salt cell literally drops in water level exposing all the elements.
For some reason i have to take out the cartridge let the water drain and start it up again to reach a full water level on the salt cell.

Ive already cut all the pipes away to the point where my filtration will be around 12 mtrs from the skimmer rather than 25.
I think the pump is more than efficient. Its just this filter is utter rubbish.
Heres the url to the filter i currently have.
http://www.waterco.com.au/CMS/default.a ... page_id=43

PoolGuyNJ said:
I suspect the cartridge is either shot or needs a soaking in TSP or dishwasher detergent (powdered only) to remove the skin oils and lotions. I'll bet the filter itself is fine.

How old is the cartridge?

Scott
PoolGuyNJ
Have soaked the cartridge in a cartridge cleaner (powder) formula.
Its 5 months old.

My reading on the filter is usually around the 140 kpa and within hours its up to 190 kpa.
A filter that clogs up within hours is simply doing it's job. You have to find out what's in your water that's causing it to clog up. The most obvious answer is algae. (algae doesn't have to be visible) What does your water look like? Can you post a full set of test results?

Secondly, that it exposes your salt cell when it's clogged is another problem but let's take it one step at a time and try to find out what's clogging your filter.

This sounds like an AG pool. Can you post a picture that would show us your equipment?

duraleigh said:
A filter that clogs up within hours is simply doing it's job. You have to find out what's in your water that's causing it to clog up. The most obvious answer is algae. (algae doesn't have to be visible) What does your water look like? Can you post a full set of test results?

Secondly, that it exposes your salt cell when it's clogged is another problem but let's take it one step at a time and try to find out what's clogging your filter.

This sounds like an AG pool. Can you post a picture that would show us your equipment?

Got it tested on the 9th of Nov and received a certificate for perfect water balance at our local irrigation store.
So no Algae or anything like that!!!
Ill have to take a pic of the equipment which is now dismantled tomorrow.
Night time here.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey,
Got it tested on the 9th of Nov and received a certificate for perfect water balance at our local irrigation store.
So no Algae or anything like that!!!
There is something in your water that is clogging the filter. If the water was perfect, the filter wouldn't clog as your water passes through it.

Riff, I hope you stay with us to solve your issue but, sooner or later, you are going to have to provide some better test results. Is there a pool store near you that can test for you or do you have any testing equipment available?

Withour adequate information, we'd be making wild guesses and not be able to help you.

Davegvg said:
I was never good at math....- wouldnt 140KPA = 20 pounds of starting pressure?
(Me neither. But I know how to Google [verb]... and came across a very nifty (translation: highly useful) web site that provides converters in seemingly every field of physical science. http://www.unitconversion.org/)

So, the filter pressure expressed in kilopascals increased 140 kPa to 190 kPa in just a few hours. That 50 kPa increase is equivalent to about 7 psi (pounds/ square inch.) Something substantative is either clogging the filter or blocking suction-side flow, until remedied by cleaning -- or possibly just the action of removal and replacement of cartridge. Is there any dirt or other debris coming off this filter?

A 180 sq. ft. cartridge filter area seems a bit small for a 16K gallon pool with a 2 HP pump. It might be helpful to the chemistry of this pool (test results) as requested by Scott (PoolGuyNJ) in an earlier post -- and a picture or two of pool and equipment pad.

If you have 1-1/2" plumbing, a Pentair Sand Dollar will be fine. 350 lbs of sand will filter quite nicely assuming you don't need less than a 4 hour turn. If you have have 2" plumbing, then a Tagleus or a (couch)Hayward S310 will be the way to go since they are 2" internally also.

Scott

Riffbear said:
Hey all thanks for the replies!
The pool builder found 2 3 inch cracks in the skimmer box yesterday.
That explains why the flow was insufficent.

Replacing it today.
Glad you were able to identify a problem... but not sure how cracks in the skimmer would lead to increased system pressure and require frequent cleaning of the filter.

Wouldn't the cracks mean that the pump is drawing in air (cavitating)? And wouldn't that result in a drop in pressure? If anyone else knows of this happening, I'd like to be able to adjust my tentative knowledge in this area. Do suction side leaks = higher filter pressure?

polyvue said:
Riffbear said:
Hey all thanks for the replies!
The pool builder found 2 3 inch cracks in the skimmer box yesterday.
That explains why the flow was insufficent.

Replacing it today.
Glad you were able to identify a problem... but not sure how cracks in the skimmer would lead to increased system pressure and require frequent cleaning of the filter.

Wouldn't the cracks mean that the pump is drawing in air (cavitating)? And wouldn't that result in a drop in pressure? If anyone else knows of this happening, I'd like to be able to adjust my tentative knowledge in this area. Do suction side leaks = higher filter pressure?

With the pump drawing air, Thats what was causing my salt cell to drop and lint box to drop to half in the pump.
Each time i switched it off and restarted it it would flow back to normal again.
I thought it was the filter the whole time but it wasn't.

I am how ever getting a 32 inch sand filter as the cartridge has driven me nuts and am not willing to give it another go anymore.

With the pump drawing air, Thats what was causing my salt cell to drop and lint box to drop to half in the pump.
Each time i switched it off and restarted it it would flow back to normal again.
I thought it was the filter the whole time but it wasn't.

I am how ever getting a 32 inch sand filter as the cartridge has driven me nuts and am not willing to give it another go anymore.
Thanks for replying. I certainly understand how a specific piece of equipment can lead to frustration... as well as the anticipation one feels in its replacement. Hope the sand filter provides what you're looking for.

As an aside, I think it's safe to say that the equation I articulated in response to a misunderstanding of your situation cannot be true (Do suction side leaks = higher filter pressure? -- NO.) In this case, the filter pressure was not the issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.