One week since fresh fill and start of BBB

May 10, 2009
After my fresh fill last Wednesday to Today, I've made it . . . .

FC - 4.0
PH - 7.6
TA - 80
CH - 140
CYA - 30
Borate - 50 (est)

So as of today I start with liquid Chlorine (6%) for maintaining my FC. I will also carry out the advice given regarding shocking and future additive of Dichlor to maintain the CYA.

This is a big change for me from using all the various "store pushed" chemicals. Looking forward to seeing how the BBB method works.

Thanks to the advice here I have a much better understanding of what to look for, and why!

What I learned that made this possible for me are:

1) Read the advice given here over and over again until the concept is understood!
2) Get the right test kit! Don't cheap out or try to cheat by using anything less.
3) Log every step taken with date and time. Log the results accurately.
4) Be patient. That's hard when you're very busy. I know. But it pays off.
5) Don't be afraid to ask questions. No such thing as a stupid question.

Still lots to learn! Glad I joined this place. . . .

Peter

Petermgr said:
So as of today I start with liquid Chlorine (6%) for maintaining my FC. I will also carry out the advice given regarding shocking and future additive of Dichlor to maintain the CYA.
I hope you were well paid for this testimonial.
Now the good advice I understand is usually paid by the recipient, by ignoring it.

But don't you think it's about time to change that avatar -- you're making the rest of us look bad! :mrgreen:

EDIT * * * This actually IS good advice... just trying to be funny! * * * END EDIT

polyvue said:
Petermgr said:
I hope you were well paid for this testimonial.
Now the good advice I understand is usually paid by the recipient, by ignoring it.

???????????? What's that all about?

I'm following advice given on this site:

when-to-add-borax-new-spa-first-fill-t17851.html ( see Chem Geek's advice regarding adding Dichlor for 1-2 days once a month to keep the CYA constant)

Thanks for the comment.

Just so there is no confusion, the advice of adding a day or two's worth of Dichlor every month is for a spa where the hot temperatures have the chlorine break down some of the CYA. This usually isn't needed in a pool unless there is water dilution so that depends on filter type (cartridge filter doesn't get backwashed, for example). Peter is using BBB for his spa.

In a properly maintained pool or spa that is using sufficient quantities of sanitizer/oxidizer to get rid of bather waste, shocking is rarely needed.

Petermgr said:
What's that all about?
It's about me trying to be funny and droll while paying you a compliment and failing miserably! Sorry to be so obscure; I read it this morning and cringed. I thought your advice was top-notch and only wish that I'd had it during the years I struggled with my spa.

geekgranny said:
I like the avatar. :-D Gives me a chuckle. :whoot:
Me, too. Great contrast to the lessons learned that were expressed in the post.

polyvue said:
Petermgr said:
What's that all about?
It's about me trying to be funny and droll while paying you a compliment and failing miserably! Sorry to be so obscure; I read it this morning and cringed. I thought your advice was top-notch and only wish that I'd had it during the years I struggled with my spa.
geekgranny said:
I like the avatar. :-D Gives me a chuckle. :whoot:
Me, too. Great contrast to the lessons learned that were expressed in the post.

Thanks polyvue . . .

So, moving forward. I'm enjoying how clean my spa is now. What makes even more enjoyable is that (thanks to this forum) I now understand what I'm putting into my spa and the logic behind it all.

As for my avatar . . . a reminder to me of the bad advice I got from the local pool store. The spa looks great right now . . . Come to think of it, I should post an "after" shot . . .

Take care

Pete

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.