Pool pressure Question

Nov 9, 2009
I got my inground pool cleaner working but i noticed the pressure goes up quite a bit when switching to inground pop ups. The pressure goes from about 12psi to about 28psi with pop ups on

Welcome to TFP!!

That sounds like a little more pressure than would be expected (but the installer may have gone 'overboard' with elbows on the pipes). Is the pressure the same, regardless as to which set of 'pop-ups' are running? If so, there may be a blockage in the pop up system (there's a screen filter in them, is it clean?)

You mentioned in your other post that there was water under the valve - this is also indicative of an obstruction in the system :(

More than happy to help you figure this out! It just might take a few questions by us and answers from you to fully figure out what the issue is :wink:

Thanks for helping it means a lot.......the pressures do drop from one set of pop ups to the next about 5psi difference. The water is actually leaking out of the bottom of the caretaker where the tubes are glued in at, the glue isnt holding anymore.

Hey,

Others are much better at suggesting a fix for in-floor systems as I am not familiar with them. I did want to say a 5psi pressure loss simply means there is less resistance in that "zone". It sounds like you have identified that the water is not all coming in through the pop-up heads but, rather, leaking around them so you are losing some cleaning effectivenenss at the zone with the lower psi.

I'm sure others will be along to assist if there is an appropriate fix.

If you mean will it cause any damage, the answer is almost surely no. However, if your psi is 30, you are getting very little flow, indicating a partial blockage that I think waste already alluded to.

A typical pool pump, with a totally blocked pressure side, will max out at somewhere around 35psi, so you can see you are pretty close to being fully blocked when your's gets to 30.

i was kind of afraid of a blockage......most not a huge blockage because the pop ups still pop up. It just scares me with the pressure that high that something will crack.

Guys thanks again for the help

Pressure alone is not enough information to diagnose the problem if one really exists. A few questions:

Pump Model/Size?

Number of zones and heads per zone?

Suction and return pipe size and run length from pad to pool?

Mark, as I'm not sure that Mpswirl can answer all your questions, I'll answer the one I can.

The pipes to the infloor pop ups are 2" and you can have as many as 5 on any one set (more if they are the stair or seating area, as they have smaller jets).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.