Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool pressure Question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool pressure Question

I got my inground pool cleaner working but i noticed the pressure goes up quite a bit when switching to inground pop ups. The pressure goes from about 12psi to about 28psi with pop ups on

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool pressure Question

Welcome to TFP!!

That sounds like a little more pressure than would be expected (but the installer may have gone 'overboard' with elbows on the pipes). Is the pressure the same, regardless as to which set of 'pop-ups' are running? If so, there may be a blockage in the pop up system (there's a screen filter in them, is it clean?)

You mentioned in your other post that there was water under the valve - this is also indicative of an obstruction in the system

More than happy to help you figure this out! It just might take a few questions by us and answers from you to fully figure out what the issue is
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for helping it means a lot.......the pressures do drop from one set of pop ups to the next about 5psi difference. The water is actually leaking out of the bottom of the caretaker where the tubes are glued in at, the glue isnt holding anymore.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Hey,

Others are much better at suggesting a fix for in-floor systems as I am not familiar with them. I did want to say a 5psi pressure loss simply means there is less resistance in that "zone". It sounds like you have identified that the water is not all coming in through the pop-up heads but, rather, leaking around them so you are losing some cleaning effectivenenss at the zone with the lower psi.

I'm sure others will be along to assist if there is an appropriate fix.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

i guess my main question is is that pressure too high? 12psi is good without the pop ups on and 30psi withe pop ups on

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

If you mean will it cause any damage, the answer is almost surely no. However, if your psi is 30, you are getting very little flow, indicating a partial blockage that I think waste already alluded to.

A typical pool pump, with a totally blocked pressure side, will max out at somewhere around 35psi, so you can see you are pretty close to being fully blocked when your's gets to 30.
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

i was kind of afraid of a blockage......most not a huge blockage because the pop ups still pop up. It just scares me with the pressure that high that something will crack.

Guys thanks again for the help

8. Back To Top    #8

Pressure alone is not enough information to diagnose the problem if one really exists. A few questions:

Pump Model/Size?

Number of zones and heads per zone?

Suction and return pipe size and run length from pad to pool?
    Mark
    Hydraulics 101; Pump Ed 101; Pump and Pool Spreadsheets; Pump Run Time Study; DIY Acid Dosing; DIY Cover Roller
    18'x36' 20k plaster, 1/2 HP 2sp pump, Aqualogic PS8 SWCG, 420 sq-ft Cartridge, Solar, 6 jet spa, 1 HP jet pump, 400k BTU NG Heater, ThePoolCleaner

9. Back To Top    #9

Mark, as I'm not sure that Mpswirl can answer all your questions, I'll answer the one I can.

The pipes to the infloor pop ups are 2" and you can have as many as 5 on any one set (more if they are the stair or seating area, as they have smaller jets).
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)