TS Ida, pool overflow, and new sod

tmtklt

Jul 29, 2009
Mobile, AL
Hi, I'm located in Mobile, Alabama, and we're right in middle of this weird tropical storm Ida. Our pool is about to overflow. Its about 1/2 an inch from the bottom of the coping. We've gotten 3 inches of rain since noon today and there's lots more to come. There's a faucet thing on the top of the pump that I can use to pull water off the pool. All I have to do is connect the water hose to it and then toss it over the fence so it can drain into a retainment pond for water overflow. If it overflows into the yard will it kill the centipede sod that we put out at the end of August. Its taken root really well and looks good.

Thanks for any help.

tmtklt said:
There's a faucet thing on the top of the pump that I can use to pull water off the pool. All I have to do is connect the water hose to it and then toss it over the fence so it can drain into a retainment pond for water overflow.
Actually, your solution sounds pretty good. But do keep an eye on it -- you'd hate to come back after a few hours and find that half your pool drained into the pond! :(

I live just north of you and I have St. Augustine and I've overflowed our pool several times this year right onto the grass and it hasn't hurt it at all. In fact, it's overflowing right now onto the grass. The only thing I'm careful about is spreading the flow out so it doesn't trench the soil out. I use a small piece of plywood under the hose end.

I decided to brave the 30 mph wind and drain off some water. I let the pump run for about an hour. It was lower when I turned it off. However, when I got up this morning, the water level is still 1/2 below the coping. I think we might have gotten almost 4" of rain last night. Oh, well, I think I'm going to let evaporation take care of excess water.

I called the sod man this morning just to see what he said. St. Augustine can handle salt water a bit better than centipede. He said centipede didn't really like the salt water too much and it could damage the grass. It might have been okay because the salt level was at 2900 ppm when I had it checked last weekend, but I didn't want to chance it. I spent a good bit of money on it and I'd like for it to stick around for a while.

Thanks guys.

Sorry I didn't catch the salt water thing. Still, with as much rain as we're getting, I don't think running a few thousand gallons on the lawn will hurt it but, I understand your concern and don't blame you for being cautious.

I would still rather dump water in a controlled way, away from the pool, in preference to letting it overflow. Especially with an AGP, Bama, you run the risk of undercutting your sand or whatever the pool is sitting on.
--paulr

Within the past two months we've had several storms that put 6-10 inches in the pool within a few hours. One of the handiest little tools I have and use a lot is a small submersible pump from Home Depot. Until last week I kept right at the pool tied to the deep end steps handle because we have gotten so much rain so frequently. The one I have cost about $65 and has really earned its keep.

Warning.... from doing this way too many times... :roll: If you have the end of hose below the level of the pump be sure to take it out once you have the amount pumped out. Otherwise when you turn off the pump it will still syphon water out.

I use mine when it is raining. If you have it plugged in to a good GFI and keep kids/pets away from it safety issues are pretty good. I once dropped the plugged in pump to extension cord in the pool and the GFI immediately tripped. Otherwise it never trips even in torrential downpours. Of course you could also wrap the connection in a good silicon stretchy tape for added safety but a good working GFI will trip when it is needed. I wouldn't though, let the connection sit in a pool of water. You can elevate it a bit to keep it out of standing water.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.