Georgetown, TX Pool Build (North of Austin, TX)

drewhiggs

Silver Supporter
Jul 9, 2017
Georgetown, TX
I've started a couple of other posts in the past 2 years, but we have finally signed a contract with a pool builder after speaking with 9 different pool builders. What a process! It took a year and a half to get over the sticker shock. I seriously considered a DIY pool build, but my Wife wasn't on board. So here we are ;-).

Pool Specs:
Length: 34'
Width: 16'
Spa: 7' round
Gallons: 13,000
Depth: 3.5' - 6'
Plaster: Pebble Sheen (Aqua Blue)
Pool Filter: Pentair Cartridge Filter
Pool Pump: Pentair Intelliflo 3HP VS
Booster Pump: Pentair Whisperflo 1.5 HP
Gas Heater: Pentair 400k BTU Heater
Sanitizer: Pentair IC40 SWCG
Controller: Pentair ET4 w/Screenlogic 2
Water Feature 1: Raised Sheer Descent
Water Feature 2: LED Bubbler on tanning ledge
Robot: Pentair Kreepy Krauly Prowler 920
Pool Lights: 3 globrites
Spa Light: 1 globrite
Decking: Salt Finish

I'm still up in the air about a sports pool or a traditional "deep end" pool. I have 2 daughters, ages 5 and 9, and my oldest has mentioned that she really enjoys "deeper" pools. We have never been in a sports pool, but I love the concept. I'm just not sure my daughters would be satisfied with a 5' deep middle in a sports pool. So my decision to go with a traditional pool was made by my daughters. I still have a few days to change my mind, but once I submit the paperwork to our HOA, the decision is final as I don't want to start that process again.

I have a couple of questions for you guys.

1: Is the upgrade from the PSL4 controller to the Easy Touch 4 worth a $500 upgrade? I have not priced out the Easy Touch 8, but I'm sure its a few hundred on top of that....
2: Going from a depth of 6' to 7' adds about $3,400. Neither of these depths are "dive" pools, so I'm not sure its worth the cost. We signed the contract with the 7' depth, but I'm still up in the air.

This website has been awesome, so I'll become a supporter and post a picture of the pool after I've been given more photo space.

pool_arial.jpg

6-7' are weird depths. Can't stand. Can't really jump in (maybe the kids can). and certainly should not dive.

Is the booster pump for the water features?

Glad to see you found someone in TX that will install the SWG and not force UV/ozone on you ;)

I'm glad I found someone that would install a SWCG as well! He didn't blink an eye and said I should seal the coping for precautions. To think about it, he never even mentioned the UV/ozone options.....this pretty much sealed the deal with him. 2 out of 9 pool builders agreed with the SWCG which was disappointing.

Yes, the booster pump is for the water features. The PB said I may not get much force out of the spa jets if I run the water features and spa at the same time, so he recommended adding the pool booster for the water features.

I also agree with the 6-7' depths....I'm so torn about this decision.....sports pool or traditional pool....? My brother-in-law has a pool with the 7' depth, which I could leave or take. Most of the time every one is in the shallow end, but my oldest daughter mentioned that she likes diving down for rings. Not diving from the water feature or side, but diving from the surface....In my experience with this pool, I think a sports pool would be better. In the end, it's a family decision and not a "me" decision.....so torn.

We're building right now (having deck poured tomorrow) with similar depths as yours, but whereas you're going 3.5' - 7', we're going 3' - 7'. I'd rather the 3.5' start, especially after reading the posts in this forum for a few weeks now and seeing the point behind the extra 6". Unfortunately, I was too late to change that. Regarding the 7' at the other end, I'm pretty happy with it. Would've liked 8', but was slim chance we could get there with additional cost, etc. Plus, two families in the neighborhood have 7' in the deep end and there's plenty of depth for cannonballs and jackknives, throwing the football and kids jumping in for mid-air catches, and lots of good diving for rings and such (like you said) for the kids. Not head first diving, mind you, but swimming and angling down...just like you're talking about. Personally, I wanted the deepest pool we could get for the money, and 7' was it. And having spent many days the last several years swimming in pools with a 7' deep end, I've come to think it's a pretty good compromise.

HI! I am just now finding your build thread!!! SO glad to see you found someone you like!! SWEET!

Okay............you really need to go up to the 8....you will run out of spots with the 4 fast..........best talk to him about the 8. Sorry to hit your wallet already.

Find out the model number for the filter please. They come in many different sizes and we need to make sure this one is big enough for your pool.

Kim:kim:

Ouch Kim, you are attacking the pocketbook ;-)....The easy touch 4 is already an upgrade, I'm not sure what the price is for the easy touch 8. I've never had a pool, so I'm not sure what the 8 gives me in the future. I've read about the Easy Touch 4, it includes circuit breakers, power supply for the SWCG, and extra programs over the PSL4, but I'm not sure what the 8 gives me over the 4. Would you help clear up this muddy water for me?

Also the filter is a Pentair Cartridge Filter 320sq. I went to pentairs website and it appears to be product number 160340. I'll create a signature and add the specs.
Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filters - Pool and Spa Filters - Pentair

Drew,

I have the ET 4 with built-in SWCG power supply and wish I had bought the 8.. Here is why.

An ET 4 has 4 relays, but one of them (Pump/Filter relay) MUST be used to control the power to the salt cell. That leaves you with 3 relays..

One for your pool light.. and that assumes you only have one light or want multiple lights all the same color and on/off at the same time. If you want the lights in the spa to be different than the pool you will need two or more relays.
One for your Equipment pad light...
One for your "Booster" pump
One for any landscape lighting
One for something you have yet to think about...

But wait!!! You ran out of relays a long time ago... :p

To sum up... you can limp along with an ET 4, but, just like me, you will wish you had bought the ET 8..

The EasyTouch does not come with circuit breakers. A "real" ET comes with a load center where the installer will add the necessary circuit breakers. (The 'Lite" ET does not have a load center)

Make sure you get the ET with built in SWCG power supply, otherwise you just end up with an external power supply box hanging on the wall.

I know it is more money, but compared to what the pool costs, getting the ET 8 is a pretty small increase.

And just to add to your money worries.. I'd get the 520 filter.. the bigger the filter the less back pressure and the slower you can run your pump. Also.. the less often you will have to clean it.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Excavation is due to being next week. After considering the upgrades mentioned above, I decided to meet in the middle with both the Easy Touch and Filter. I'm going to upgrade the controller from the PSL4 to the ET4 and the filter from the 320 to the 420. We also changed the design a little bit. After looking at the slope, I thought it ate up to much of the shallow end so we decided to take the depth from 7' to 6' and extend it another few feet. The pool is now 16' x 34'.

My back yard is looking a little depressing right now, but that should change in 2-3 months! I had to say goodbye to 4 trees which was difficult to do, but we will probably plant a couple more after the pool is built.

Photo Sep 07, 6 56 40 PM.jpg
Photo Sep 13, 7 11 34 PM.jpg
pool_arial.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I sure hope I don't decide to trim those in the future. I do see that they will hang over the pool, but they don't seem to be much of an issue except during the fall season.

On a side note, additional pictures are not uploading. I've gone to my pictures and I don't appear to be using all of my allotment. What might be causing this?

Well I always saw Kim warn people of the mud and I didn't think it would be that big of an issue until I experienced it. What a MESS ;-). My yard is going to take a little more work than anticipated to put back together. I was going to create a time lapse video of the excavation, but AT&T decided to bury the fiber 3" underground and it didn't take long for the bobcat to find it. So no internet at my house for a few days.

excavation1.jpg
excavation2.jpg

Excavation.mp4 - Google Drive

LOL So I will say if for your build! Let the MUD begin!!!

Ouch on the cable :( Here is hoping they can fix it fast! Well move it really I guess! gurrrrrrrrrrr

Oh and the mud? It will only get *better*............wait for the trenching for the pipe and such :roll: you have not see "destroyed" yet! BUT once everything is done it will all be good. Now keep taking pics so we can follow along. The video you were able to get was great!

The rock was a lot closer to the top than I would have thought. Was that much rock breaking factored into your contract?

Kim:kim:

Were the excavators out working on your pool today?

I ask, because my PB told me the excavators would start today, “weather permitting”. I only had light rain at my house for about 10 mins all day, but no one showed up.

This is the 3rd time he’s given me a start day only to have no one show up.

Ha Kim, the mud has begun for sure. No more videos until the fiber is repaired :-(. Also, rock is covered in all the pool quotes in our area, so no unexpected costs due to rock. I've already got the pressure washer out clearing the driveway so we could park again. It may be a week before they make it back out here due to the rain. At first, my wife thought it was a good idea to drive over the driveway into the garage. She found out that was a bad idea.

Jim, they didn't make it back out today. After looking at the forecast, I'm not sure when they will be back out. To be honest, it may be a blessing in disguise. The difference between Wednesday, when it wasn't raining, and the past 2 when it has been raining is night and day. The bobcat sinks more and the kids start tracking mud in the house vs dirt. What part of Austin do you live in? If you are getting a spa, you are probably in the same boat as me. I'm hoping to be relaxing in the spa during Christmas. Since we can't turn the heater on for 28 days, it will be close.

Oh no, no damage to her car. Just a thick layer of mud brought into the garage. A little slipping and sliding though. Nothing a pressure washer can’t take care of.

Our hole in the ground is becoming a pool more and more every day ;-). We had quite a bit of rain last night.

4748AF26-5436-4002-B645-10DF7D0362DD.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.