In-ground Pool liner and coping replacement progress w/pics

To recap, here is the pool in question. The liner is due to be replaced and the previous owner concreted over the automatic cover opening. Also, the original coping was set on a course of brick to increase its height which makes no sense. Also, the coping was mortared to the bond beam and butted to the deck which is a no-no from an expansion perspective. This is a total DIY project.

Here are the original coping pictures:

autocover_removed.jpg

liner_tear.jpg

Now, here is the status:

coping_removal2.jpg

coping_removal3.jpg

Pool coping choices are pre-cast concrete and poured concrete. Haven't decided but am leaning to poured. Either solution requires raising the bond beam to an acceptable level.

Several outstanding questions:

First, I need a source for liner track. Harder than I thought to find. I'm leaning toward horizontally applied for ease of replacement later on.

Second, I'm going to replace the skimmer. Its 20 years old and I've found cracks inside. This is a concrete wall (8")constructed vinyl pool. What is the correct skimmer to buy? I think its a Hayward 10841, but I'm not really sure. I see that DanO has just asked about replacing a skimmer. His pool appears to be gunite, mine is vinyl but it looks like the advice given there is useful to me as well.

Any tips on poured coping? I could use a lot.

The only place I can think of is APC (Aquatics Parts Company) - the track won't be cheap :!:

The 1084 skimmer looks like what you'll want. Do follow the advice given to DanO (here) and ask questions as needed :cool:

As for the cantilever (poured on) deck - I wouldn't attempt it for my own pool- it's much easier to use precast coping or brick/ stone, but if you know someone with lots of experience doing the cantilever decks, that's a different story.

If you need any tips & tricks for installing either the receiver or coping, simply ask :)

Thanks for the advise.

I was able to find one distributor. 8 feet at $10, so not too bad. Took a bit of looking though. APC looks like its mostly for the trade, but I can give them a call in the next couple of days. Don't know if they do retail.

A follow-on question on the track. What screws to use? Are they self drilling, or am I going around the pool with a drill in one hand and a driver in the other? Stainless, coated, what? It looks like 6" spacing is the recommendation.

Regarding the poured coping. I think it would look better if done right. I'm calling around tomorrow to see if we have a local contractor who can do the pour. It would need to be a monolithic pour so that would require labor to haul enough concrete quickly. I live in a small town and we have few local contractors. We definitely don't even have a pumper truck so the concrete will need to be wheelbarrowed.

I'm looking at pre-cast as well. A semi-local place can do 30" segments at a cost of about $16 per foot. Delivery is on me since its 120 miles away. This has a higher probability of sucess, but at a somewhat reduced attractiveness.

I've kind of fallen in love with this pool coping concept I found on-line. Simple to form, elegant to look at. Don't know how it would look considering I'm keeping my existing deck. Forming it up looked simple. 2x material along the wall to create the cantilever, second 2x to form the inside wall. I would need to figure out how to attach to the wall though. Probably a bunch of concrete screws. Here is a pic and a reference...Maybe I'll be in love with something else tomorrow.

20090903%20-Wasson%20-Pebble%20day%20009.jpg

http://www.aqua-shine.com/Index/Current ... 0_WSN.html

At any rate, thanks for listening. Tomorrow is cut up the liner and remove the track day. Also the start taking the old concrete to the dump day. Thursday its supposed to rain.

Todays update:

The liner is gone as well as the liner track. Not too bad.

Is it normal for the liner to be brittle? Pretty much just cracked into large chunks. Its now in nice trashcan sized pieces. Don't think it can be recycled, so to the landfill it goes?

New questions?

Is this much algae normal under a liner?

Also, tell me what I need to do with this lifting layer of plaster. I guess I got maybe 15 sq ft of hollow sounding areas in the walls. My understanding is that these liner pools are vermiculite/cement below the vertical wall. The under layer seems solid, but a bit soft. A tool will dent it. Same with the over layer. There are also areas that seem like they are repaired with something stronger like plaster or stucco mix. Not too much of that though.

If I'm right on the vermiculite/cement, where do I get the vermiculite and what ratio to mix and what adhesion promoter to use if any.

Sorry for so many questions, I literally have no local sources to lean on.

- Michael

coping_removal6.jpg

coping_removal4.jpg

coping_removal5.jpg

are u doing the coping replacement yourself?

That picture looks like a pour in place deck. you prob need to cut and remove at lease another 12 to 24 "of your decking to get a good clean coping form..

Stegmeier has a liner track and form system. Looks like that is exactly what you need.

http://www.stegmeier.com/SectionProduct ... gular.aspx

here is a video too.. :-D
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... stegmeier#

If I was u I would get precast Stepstone coping
you have to order them from your local building material place. Not cheap but top quality stuff.

http://www.stepstoneinc.com/images/deta ... 202008.pdf

Have you ordered the new liner? I gotta tell you that it would take me over an hour to properly measure for a new liner for that pool :|

I'm not sure what they used for the old patches, I assume that those are the white areas on the side walls?, but you'll want to 'sound' them and also dig out any 'soft' spots in the vermiculite :(

The mix for vermiculite is ~ 2:1 cement: vermiculite - we use 1/2 bag portland (type I or II) per 16 - 20 lb. bag of verm. with ~ 12 gal. water

If you need more detail on the mix, how to do it, 'sounding' the floor, et. al. simply ask :)

You can use straight bleach to treat the algae on the floor :wink:

Please continue to keep us informed :cool:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.