Winterizing Pool

Jun 21, 2009
Hi,
I have a question concering winterizing an inground vinyl lined pool.
I removed the eyeballs from the filter returns and want to install the winter plugs. After I removed the eyeballs, the returns now have a large male threaded section. The plugs have a smaller male threaded section. I know these have worked before because I had the pool winterized professionally last year. There are outer covers around the threaded sections but it looks like there are screws going through them, so I cant imagine that I would want to remove them. If I feel inside the fittings I can feel a female threaded section that would fit the plugs but they are too far in to reach the threadson the plugs. Do I need to remove these outer collars? Will I be ripping through the liner if I try this.
Your help is greatly appreciated.

Standard Hayward threaded return fittings are a three piece design. You have removed two, the ball and the collar. The neck is still in place from what you have described. It needs to be removed. It's either slightly calcified or screwed in a little snug.

Scott
PoolGuyNJ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.