Tropical Storm Ida and our swimming pool

cancuntom

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 7, 2009
Cancun, Mexico
Tropical storm Ida is heading towards Cancun where we live. It's been raining sideways for the past hour. The pool is now about to spill over into the garden. I can't pump it's level down again becuase the pump room had 2-3" of water in it and it's at garden level. All the surronding streets are flooded. We are on higher ground so our street is still above the water level. We're in for a bumpy ride and we hope and pray Ida dosen't gain strenght over the warm Caribbean Sea and become a hurricane again.
Here are a couple of pictures from 2 hours ago. The first one is of our home with the hurricane shutters closed and the second one is of the rain filling up the pool

Good luck to you Tom!

It looks like you are prepared for a big blow with the shutters in place.
Just like a pool owner to worry about the pool before a storm! :-D

Obviously you still have electricity -- a very good thing.
Everyone knows that if the electricity should fail, there woul @! #e 8..$á³◙ ↕6æ

[user disconnected] ---- ERROR 134

The rains have stopped for awhile now and I was able to pump 7" of water out of the pool. Ida seems to be gaining strength and will possibly become a hurricane again before arriving here in Cancun tomorrow sometime. So I guess this is the calm before the storm. I dosed the pool with a large container of Clorox and some algaecide to hopefully deal with all the junk that will get blown into it. Your right about the electricity, all the lines are above ground here and they are very susceptible to damage when the winds go up.

Be safe !!

I think if it were me I would put in more bleach. Should you loose electricity you may have shocked your pool to a high enough level to help it survive a few days with no filter running and junk in it. JMO

TizMe said:
Be safe !!

I think if it were me I would put in more bleach. Should you loose electricity you may have shocked your pool to a high enough level to help it survive a few days with no filter running and junk in it. JMO

I agree. We get torrential rains here, sometimes 6-10 inches in 24 hours or less, with lots of gunk in the pool from high winds (last week we had 80 mph gusts and about 5" in a few hours and yes, the pool was a mess.). And when we get those we sometimes lose electricity. Keeping it at shock level will certainly help.

Sending good thoughts and energy your way. :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.