Do Any Oldies Remember the Octopus Cleaner?

geekgranny

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 20, 2009
North Central Texas
I have been searching (google) for years for this cleaner hoping to find a link to the big leaf catcher that sat over the bottom drain to catch larger debris (leaves mainly). I've only found a few mentions of it in old posts, here and there, that go back to late 80's/early 90's.

It was pressure side disc that floated around the pool and had long and short tentacles that sprayed pressurized water out the ends eventually getting most every thing to the main drain catcher. The catcher was about 24-30 inches in diameter, with screened bottom and screened top (actually little square holes about 1/8"), with a poly loop handle (inside blue rubber tubing) to pull it out by snagging it with a brush on pole. Catcher/strainer bottom part had was a flexible rubber/plastic so that it fit flush with bottom in curve around drain. It was large enough that it could hold a lot of leaves without clogging up the main drain. The bottom "screen" was elevated somewhat, about 3" from the bottom by the "skirted" base.

I used the main drain catcher for years after we moved on to Ray Vac and then Polaris. It eventually deteriorated. So I made my own redneck version using a 5 gallon bucket, with big holes cut out of bottom and weighted down with a big chunk of concrete inside bucket. I still have that and use it occasionally when the pool gets really full with leaves and I still want some water to go through the main drain. I used clear vinyl tubing around the rope handle.

Anyone remember this system?

I'll do a crude drawing in next few days.

gg=alice

JoshU said:
Yep, it was an Arenson Pool Sweep. Pentair still makes it: http://www.pentairpool.com/products/pro ... php?id=125

[EDIT] It was a pressure side cleaner using booster pump to a dedicated return, that I hooked the Ray Vac to a year or two later, without any additions and then the Polaris 180. At the pumping station it did have it's own separate pump pot, too, that has been long gone for close to 15 years. When I purchased first Polaris guy told me I didn't need that so I had him take it out. [end edit]

Thanks much but that's not it. The disc floated on the surface of the pool connected by a line similar the the Polaris pressure cleaners. The disc diameter was somewhere between 10"-14". The tentacles hung down from the disc at various lengths so that anywhere it was in the pool, some of the tentacles would almost touch or touch, and sweep, the bottom. In the shallow end the longer tentacles would touch and drag on the bottom like the Polaris tail sweep does. It actually looked like a jellyfish floating on surface. Maybe I should re-title this to "jellyfish cleaner".

The leaf/big debris catcher was large, somewhere around 30" and just sat on top of the main drain. Kind of like a colander but upside down, shorter sides, with colander type top on it. There was about 5" height from the center of the bottom part to the top, which just slid up the handle to dump the stuff out, after removing it from pool with a very strong pole. The Jellyfish stirred stuff up on bottom so it would make it to the debris catcher better.

Again, thanks. :) gg=alice

I remember this but like you, can't remember the name. I want to say (Jandy) energy sweep, but not sure. Don't remember a booster pump with it, not required anyway. The ones i remember were connected to the filter pump outlet, Tee'ed with its own inline filter that had a pressure gauge where you could regulate the flow to what it needed for operation.

It will come to me....about 5 min after i croak.

Pool Clown said:
I remember this but like you, can't remember the name. I want to say (Jandy) energy sweep, but not sure. Don't remember a booster pump with it, not required anyway. The ones i remember were connected to the filter pump outlet, Tee'ed with its own inline filter that had a pressure gauge where you could regulate the flow to what it needed for operation.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

[edit] Just looked up the Jandy Ray Vac and it doesn't use a booster so I guess the Jandy Energy Filter was still used when I moved up to the Ray Vac.

Yes, that's it and my "Favorite Most Trusted Pool Guy" told me the name before I even finished the sentence. I've got to call him. :hammer: As I'm remembering more clearly now, it didn't need a booster pump (my pump was added for the Ray Vac (maybe, but may have been for the Polaris ---- but I think the Ray Vac did use booster, but not sure) that was next in line, but the Jandy Energy Filter type filter was left in and later removed when I purchased my first of several Polaris 280s. ) All purchases due to dogs "rescuing" and "killing" them. Also, had to replace a couple of Ray Vacs. I really liked the fine screen on the Ray Vac, about the best fine filtering I've ever had, but it just didn't hold enough large debris.

I think the water to the Octopus came right off of the pressure side, after pump, as you say, prior to going into main filter. I had so much trouble with the fine debris making it through the small filter that I had to use a heavy hosiery to cover the filter cartridge and change it out frequently. It was pretty cool looking. The big, round, main drain cover, that captured the leaves was a doG-send. I used it for years afterwards. After it finally gave out I fashioned something similar using a 5 gallon bucket that didn't capture leaves but did keep them from going down main drain. Still have that and use it on rare occasions.

I'm not sure when the first pressure Polaris came out but I couldn't use it because our acorns got caught in the mouth. Had to wait for the 280 to come out with bigger inlet.

I guess this puts us into the REAL Oldie category.

:cheers:

I found this: http://www.mypool.com/Help_files/Parts_Diagrams/PoolsweepI.htm

The one I had was not the Arneson but similar action. Mine was more of a flattened disc and, as we are remembering, didn't need a booster as the Arneson did. Note down the page a little bit, small box, "Leaf Basket Complete". THATS THE MAIN DRAIN COVER I HAD. Looks like it may still be available.

At least on the right track. My sweep had several tentacles, varying length to reach bottom of deep end (probably not all the way to deep end as it would have probably gotten caught on Leaf Basket) all the way to shallow end length; little jets on end of tentacles.

Edit - I'm finding more info on the Arneson. Do a google search for "Arneson pool sweep". Out of time now but going to pursue later.

Pool Clown said:

SOLVED........... So now you don't have to croak for us to get the name. :party:

Great memory. :bowdown:

Cleanng/Going thru my file cabinet in my desk today, and found an old owners manual for the Energy sweep! Funny.
Ray vacs didn't need booster either.

circa 1982
SCAN0001.jpg

SCAN0003.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOW :shock: What a find. Thanks for posting that. Are you saving it? I'd be interested in seeing the rest of the manual if you don't mind scanning it. You can PM me.

I have an old box in garage that has a bunch of stuff for the house and pool when we moved in. I think practically everything has been replaced so I'm not sure if I threw it away. I'll bet the manual might be in there but not enough time to do an archaeological dig. :hammer:

Thanks much, gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.