2-Speed Variable Pump only works on high speed - HELP!!

Nov 7, 2009
Dear TFP Folks! First and foremost, thank you for a great site chock-full of valuable information for the DIY pool owner. I have had a salt water pool (Hayward Aqua Rite Salt Chlorinator) for about 5 years now (5 very happy years) and am running a Century/Pentair Whisperflo 2-speed variable pump (Model #WFDS-24).

The timer was set by the pool company when installed to run on high speed for 3 hours and the other 21 hours at low speed. However, for about a week now, the pump only runs on high speed. The manual switch override changes nothing. In other words, whether I set the lever to low or high, the pump remains on high. I am able to shut off the entire system altogether and do so for a few hours in the day since I know I am spending lots of electricity when it runs on high speed.

Before I make a service call, I just wanted to know if this is something simple I can diagnose and fix? Also, does this sound like the wall panel that controls the speed that's the problem or is it the pump? Your quick reply is greatly appreciated.

Thanking you I remain,
Designhaus

It's probably the contacts in the timer but answer a few questions and we'll know more.

Has the manual switch override worked in the past?

Are you comfortable troubleshooting electrical equipment?

Is the timer mechanical or electronic?

Lets start with those.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.