May 30, 2008
Fort Gratiot MI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone,

A quick question. I have an above ground solar cover that is on a reel that is off the pool on two poles. This is the first year I have had it. I planned to keep the solar cover on the reel for the winter.

Do I cover the solar cover with a tarp or just leave it uncovered and it will be ok?

I live in Michigan and we do get alot of snow up here.

Thanks in advance
Brian

fixit5561 said:
Do I cover the solar cover with a tarp or just leave it uncovered and it will be ok?
I have an in-ground solar cover; it gets stored in the garage for the winter. Methinks covering it with a tarp is the next best option... if the snow and ice don't ruin it, the additional UV from six months of sunlight will certainly diminish its life-span.

I take mine off every winter, fold it up and store it in the garage on a high shelf (so mice don't get it). Didn't remove it once - the next spring, the birds started to build nests in the ends before I ever made it out to get things moving on the pool - seems they like to get inside and build between the layers....what a mess, never again.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.