Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ball valve is hard to turn

1. Back To Top    #1

Ball valve is hard to turn

The ball valves that control the flow from the skimmer and main drain have become very hard to turn. In fact, one of the handles broke off in my hand. Ouch. Here's the replacement part that I need to get.

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-2569/ ... Detail.bok

What can I do to make the valves easier to turn? Is there any way to lubricate these?
    15,000 gallon unpainted plaster. Sand filter. Polaris 380.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Ball valve is hard to turn

Quote Originally Posted by jjoshua
    The ball valves that control the flow from the skimmer and main drain have become very hard to turn. In fact, one of the handles broke off in my hand. Ouch. Here's the replacement part that I need to get.

http://www.a1poolparts.com/-strse-2569/ ... Detail.bok

What can I do to make the valves easier to turn? Is there any way to lubricate these?
    Below pictures of tool I use to 1) take the top off the pump pot, and 2) turn my one ancient ball valve. I haven't found any better tool for either.

1981, 25K, IG, Blue Plaster 1996, somewhat oval, widens a bit at shallow end, 1.5" pipes, 2" at Pad, 1 separate main drain, 1 skimmer, 4 returns + dedicated cleaner return, 10 ft deep end with very fast decline from shallow, Pentair Quad 80 DE, Pentair Intelliflo VF, 3/4 HP Booster Pump (equipment pad about 8 ft below top of pool), Challanger 3/4 Trash/Emergency Pump 120v, Polaris 280 (pressure), iRobot Verro cleaner (robotic), Aquabot Turbo (robotic), Jacuzzi Tracker 4X (vacuum) Pool Blaster (Buster), Two (2) PoolSkims, Solar Breeze (solar powered top skimmer) (beta to ver. 2, release date 2010), ColorSplash LED replacement bulb. Aries 550 gal separate spa, 2002 (our 3rd and BEST spa) , BBB-Bromine

3. Back To Top    #3

Your best bet is to buy union ball valves. They can be disassembled and lubricated when needed.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

It's not a serviceable valve (aside from replacing the handle). When you're ready to take on a plumbing job you could replace it with either a union-style valve as Bama said, or a serviceable schedule 80 valve like the ones made by Jandy, Waterway, Pentair, etc. The stronger plastic allows for smaller moving parts which leads to less friction. Much easier to use.