Rid of Green but left with cloudy

Jul 19, 2007
Hi all. i'm new to this forum but i have been looking around. My problem is first i'm a newbie at pool chemistry. I have an 18x48 intex vinyl pool and the water has been great for 2 months. Then a terriable storm came causing power to shut off. The temps were very high before the storm. My pool became green with Algae. I treated with Algaecide Plus which got rid of the Algae but i have been fighting cloudy water since. I've used 1 gallon of 6 % bleach, super clarifier, and shocked through the course of 1 week but still have cloudy blue water. I don't know what else or where i go from here. I took out the stabilizer tabs because the reading was very high and i read that can cause cloudiness and ruin the free chlorine. Drained 1/3 of the pool and replaced it along with daily vaccuming,skimming and running the filter 24/7. When i used the Bleach my free chlorine was at 10. Here are my readings just taken. Can someone please advise me on what could be causing the cloudy water? Thank you in advance

Hardness-100
TC-2
FC-3
Ph-7.6
TA-120
Stabilizer-50

The problem you are probably having is that your filter and pump just don't have the guts to clean up a mess. Run it 24/7 and clean as needed, which will probably be everyday. Brush often.

Thanks..i have been and cleaning the cartridge as much as i can. Thought i might be doing something wrong or i wasn't shocking the pool like i should. Like i said i'm new at this but i felt my numbers were fine. Thanks again.

How many cartridges do you have and how are you cleaning them? Lowes sells a spray bottle of filter cleaner for about 7 bucks that works well. Spray the filter down with it, wait 10 minutes then rinse clean with a hose. If you get a couple filters and rotate them out then you have a little time to clean them.

crokett said:
How many cartridges do you have and how are you cleaning them? Lowes sells a spray bottle of filter cleaner for about 7 bucks that works well. Spray the filter down with it, wait 10 minutes then rinse clean with a hose. If you get a couple filters and rotate them out then you have a little time to clean them.

I have that same pool, and I'm telling you that 1500gph pump that comes with the pool is trash....it won't circulate the water in 8 hours plus of running, even though it rates it at that.....I'm selling that pump on Ebay now and haven't used it since last year when I replaced the pump with a Hayward sand filter system.....circulates the water in about 2 hours...no filter to clean, just backwash, and it gives me enough pressure to use a Hayward Aquacritter which cleans my pool automatically....

I suggest a better filter.

We are getting a better filter but right now money is tight. I think you're all right. Its the filter. This AM the pool actually looked clearer. Numbers still good. How much is the Hayward if you don't mind me asking? Thanks all...very much appreciate your help...*S*

Palbella said:
We are getting a better filter but right now money is tight. I think you're all right. Its the filter. This AM the pool actually looked clearer. Numbers still good. How much is the Hayward if you don't mind me asking? Thanks all...very much appreciate your help...*S*

well, something like I got, could range from $375.00 to $430.00, but you can shop around and find cheaper.....I think I paid last year about $325.00 for the 18" Sand filter and 1 HP pump.

like I mentioned before, about as much for as I paid for the pool, ladder, the pump that came with the pool (which I'm selling on eBay), and a cleaning kit.....

but, it has saved me hours of work.

check these out but you can shop around, but I wouldn't go bigger than an 18" sand filter or more powerful than a 1Hp pump....when I was looking people told me what I have would collapse my pool, which was BS.

http://www1.shopping.com/xPC-Hayward-Ha ... ks-18-1-Hp

http://item.express.ebay.com/Home-Garde ... xpressItem

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.