SEEKING ADVICE: I need a new liner :(

Apr 8, 2009
Ok,

The pool is inground. ~22K gallon & oddly shaped... this morning I looked out the window and saw that the liner has pulled away from the wall and now the majority of it is floating on top of the water (it seems that the only part not floating is the part under the drain in the bottom).

The liner is old (not sure exactly how old because we only bought the house a year ago) and has several patches on it and all the color faded from it a long time ago it seems.

So I have a couple of questions about having a liner replaced:

1) Does it matter what season it is ? (as in if it's cold out when they put the new one in will there be problems when it gets hot out again - or vice-versa?).

2) Are there any questions I should be asking of the company who will be doing the job (other than how much $, how long, and what kind of warranty/garuantees to they offer) ?

3) How big a role does/will color play in heating/cooling of the water ?

Thanks, dbishop0011>

Can't help you with the color: heat ratio :(

Season does matter in both ordering the liner and installing it!

Liner manufacturers make the liner to allow for the stretch that the install temp will allow. (more on this if you need it)

It sounds like you've got both a leaking pool and a ground water issue :evil: Both of these should be corrected before you install a new liner :wink:

I'll be more than happy to expound on this :cool:

waste said:
Can't help you with the color: heat ratio :(

Season does matter in both ordering the liner and installing it!

Liner manufacturers make the liner to allow for the stretch that the install temp will allow. (more on this if you need it)

It sounds like you've got both a leaking pool and a ground water issue :evil: Both of these should be corrected before you install a new liner :wink:

I'll be more than happy to expound on this :cool:

If the pool is leaking wouldn't that be resolved by replacing the liner... and what makes you think there is a ground water issue ?

I have a customer that only orders black liners for his pool for extra heat. I can't say how well it works but its ugly as sin, plus the manufacturers has a waiver that needs to be signed since the black color makes it difficult to see how deep the water is. Get a print that you like how it looks and invest money into a solar cover etc.

A few more qusetions:

1) Is there really much difference in 20mil vs. 27/28mil & 30mil when it comes to durability ????

2) Are all the vinyl liner manufactures products pretty much the exact same thing ????

3) Premium Liners with 'Algecide' & 'Fungucide' built in ???? - is this gimmick or does it really work or can it cause issues with maintaining chemical balance ????

.... more questions to follow I'm sure....
:cry:

I found the below 'article' (from http://blog.ingroundliners.com ).. which says kind of what I was thinking, however, I love using my TigerShark robot to clean the pool and was thinking the extra bit ot thickness of the heavier guage liners might resist wear from robot scrubbing/debris scraping (twigs/pebbles caught in the robots scrubbers and scraped along the liner).

Oftentimes people ask us which liner material is “better:” the 20 mil or the 27 mil?

In reality, there is no “better” liner. The most important choice is not the thickness of the material, but the liner pattern that you choose.

Choose the vinyl liner pattern that you like the best. If it comes in 27 mil at no extra charge, take it, but don’t pay extra for it. You shouldn’t pass on your first pattern choice just to get the thicker material. In our opinion, there is no meaningful advantage to thicker material. There is no difference in wear, durability, longevity or warranty.

Liners fail for two reasons. The ink fades or the material dry rots above the waterline. Thicker material solves neither of these problems.

Most importantly, choose a vinyl liner pattern that speaks to you. You are going to be looking at that pattern in your backyard for at least the next seven years. Ultimately, the pattern you choose should outweigh the thickness of your liner material. It is what you think looks the best that matters.

Personally I would pass on the built in algaecid and fungicide. I doubt it would do any good and who knows what they treated the liner with to be able to make those claims. A well maintained pool doesn't need any gimmicks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.