Is that the right amount of Borax?

May 10, 2009
Hi gang,

I did a fresh fill for my spa and I'm using the BBB method (first time).

So far, so good. However I do have a question about the use of Borax. I am assuming that on a fresh fill, the level is "0". I also have no way of testing the Borate level with my test kit. So, according to the pool calculator, I need to add 551 grams of Borax, followed by PH down (dry acid) in the amount of 352 grams. I've searched for measurement specs for Borax relative to grams per cup. I found one answer on the web that indicated 1 cup of Borax = 204 grams. That would mean I would require 2.7 cups of Borax to attain 50ppm for my 1,250 liter spa. Would that be correct? It just sounds like a lot of Borax.

Peter

If you switch the units in the pool calculator to English up at the top, it then tells you how many oz by weigh and volume. Hover the mouse pointer over the oz reading and just below it will show it converted into lbs and cups respectively.

lborne said:
If you switch the units in the pool calculator to English up at the top, it then tells you how many oz by weigh and volume. Hover the mouse pointer over the oz reading and just below it will show it converted into lbs and cups respectively.

Thanks for the tip on how to get the cups, etc information lborne.

I went ahead and added a 2 cups of Borax and also the appropriate amount of pH down to compensate.

My initial concern was the total amount of Borax required. The spa store supplied chemical such as SpaGuard Optimizer Plus calls for a lot less. However, I do understand that it is different than Borax. Just making sure I'm not reading things incorrectly.

Regardless, the Borax has been added and I will be checking my pH and TA tomorrow to see what impact the Borax has on those readings.

Peter

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.