Pool return question

Jul 19, 2007
Katy, TX
My first post and I hope I am posting in the tight section. I have an~ 13,000 inground pool. DE filter, intelliflo 4 speed pump, intellichlor, SWG with bubbler, weeping waterfall and spillway from spa. I have a question about the returns in my pool. I have 5 returns. When my pool is running at 2200 only 2 of the returns work with a nice strong flow and another one just barely comes out. When my booster pump is on I have really good flow out from 3 returns and barely anything out of the other two. However water does come out of the bubbler valve when bubbler is turned off (just a stream of water) at 2200. I just "assumed" that at normal run at 2200 and even when my cleaner is on for 2 hrs at 2500 (same returns at 2200) that ALL 5 returns would be working. Can someone tell me what is "normal". I do not run my booster pump on a long, reg. basis. Maybe an hour a day. Thanks so much!

~Andrea

Probably just not enough flow to get good circulation at that speed.
I would venture to say that you're probably getting the good flow out of the return jets closest to the pump too, right?

If so, you may want to consider using smaller return jet sizes. Your return jet should be a ring holding in a orbital piece with a hole in the center. There are various size holes.
You can use smaller sized holes, called oraface, to influence more flow to the other jets.

If they are Hayward return jets (there should be a part number on the ring holding the jet on with an SP-xxxx number. If so, you have the option of using part number SP-1419-A (slotted), B (3/8"), C (1/2"), D (3/4"), or E (1").

Hope this helps.

Also, check to see if the returns are all independantly plumbed from the equipment pad or are in groups sharing a pipe. If they are all run seperately you might have valves that allow you to adjust the relative flow, or could add such valves. If they are sharing one or two pipes then you can use smallers eyes on the ones closer to the pump to balance them out.

Thanks for replying. Is there any harm in leaving it the way it is? I do believe they are plumbed from the same pipe and YES the 2 closest to pump are the ones that go full force. So, I can just unscrew the returns? They are fairly large, I can place two fingers in them. I will need to contact my builder to find out what brand they are. Thanks!

~Andrea

Yes, they simply unscrew. You might need a strap wrench to get them out or they might only be hand tight. Of course you should turn off the pump before trying to unscrew them. The threaded holes tend to be a standard size so you can probably use a different brand.

There only real reason to balance them is to improve your circulation. If you are happy with the way your circulation is now there is no harm in leaving it alone.

Andrea, poolsean has the right answer for equalizing the pressure from the returns, sounds like they were run off on line in series - as opposed to being run to a center point and then having the plumbing 'teed' in such a way to create ~ = pressure to all the ports. If it were me, I'd put 1/4" oriface on the 2 that are now pushing strong, a 1/2" on the next and 3/4" on the next and possibly the last, though the 1" I think would work better on the last. The smaller orifaces on the first pipes will produce back pressure to help better feed the later ones. If you have any trouble getting the 'seats' out of the returns, and thay are Hayward, the correct tool to remove them is SP 1419- T.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.