What a wonderful site!

Nov 4, 2009
I have just bought a house which has a pool that my stronger half (wife) insists we keep. I am going along in the hope that we at least use it.

It's in a shocking condition. The SWG is a 140 size and the recommended is at least 250 size. I would have to pump for 16 hours a day to keep the chlorine level up, I am guessing. The electrodes of the unit are so caked with crystal that I am surprised the water runs. :shock: The TDS reading is about 8000 PPM. Of course without some sort of analysis I have no idea how much of that is NaCl.

The pool has been kept going by using chlorine. There must be 40-50 10kg containers about the place. At about Aud $60 / 10 kg that's enough to have completely rebuilt the SWG and then some!

The pool blanket has obviously been bought 2ndhand and is the wrong size! Leaves everywhere, and they have not rotted but broken down into a white mess that clouds the pool every time I pump the filter. There is also a fine creamy coloured slightly gritty stuff in the pool that I hope is not damaged plaster/grout.

Being a noob, I was floundering about, being told this and that by people who had a vested interest. I was nearly talked into an ioniser!

ANYHOO!

My point is that I came here and it all fell into place. I am going to get a proper-sized SWG.I am gradually filtering and scooping out the mess. I am ordering a proper blanket, test kit and other stuff.

Nick

I can't contribute much as yet, as I still really have very little idea of what I am doing. But I am going to lurk and listen.

OldNick said:
Thanks guys.

I do have to say that one of the 'pool guys" did say to me "well, if you do not have any hobbies, you have one now" :). So he was at least honest.

Nick

Once you learn the methods we endorse, you won't even notice spending any time on the pool. I actually look forward to checking the pool when I get home. I could honestly get by with 2 minutes a day and a half hour on the weekend, but I like to grab a cold drink and sit by the pool while I do my water testing. I don't have a SWCG or an automatic cleaner either. It's way easier our way than the way the pool store will teach you, it's cheaper and the water stays clearer.

OK. I thought this might be the reply I was going to get when I mentioned all the gadgets! :-D

If you don't have an auto cleaner (by this I assume you mean a thing that crawls around picking stuff up) how do you get rid of stuff that settles on the bottom/sides of the pool?

I can see getting away without a SWCG, using the methods that are described here. But I am concerned about any time I may not be with the pool for days on end, for some reason. I am also not a creature of habit. :oops: I suppose for the cost and power usage of a SWCG I could learn! I am surprised at how much power they use.

I do want the pool blanket I think, as it does warm the water and also helps keep leaves out.

Nick

OldNick said:
OK. I thought this might be the reply I was going to get when I mentioned all the gadgets! :-D

If you don't have an auto cleaner (by this I assume you mean a thing that crawls around picking stuff up) how do you get rid of stuff that settles on the bottom/sides of the pool?

I can see getting away without a SWCG, using the methods that are described here. But I am concerned about any time I may not be with the pool for days on end, for some reason. I am also not a creature of habit. :oops: I suppose for the cost and power usage of a SWCG I could learn! I am surprised at how much power they use.

I do want the pool blanket I think, as it does warm the water and also helps keep leaves out.

Nick

The SWCG is nice. Certainly not a gadget, and many members here have and like them. Of course, theirs are crusted up and undersized :) I just haven't seen the need to invest in one. I have a Liquidator, which is a liquid chlorine "dispenser" for lack of a better word. I use a manual vacuum to clean the pool. About a half hour a week to run it.

Hehe about the SWCG! Cleaning my electrodes now, just to see if it actually does work.

Ok. The pool has a manual vacuum. The tube is all shot to bits, but that's only a few bucks (per metre!). It also has a ratty old "kreepy krawley", but I would imagine that technology has moved on in say 10-20 years.

I guess you could have a swim while you vacuumed!

Nick