paint has bubbled

Nov 4, 2009
I have a large in ground pool. Construction is painted concrete. About three years ago I had the pool painted. Some months after the pool was painted bubbles started to appear in the paint. I called the painting contractor back and he patched it up. However again the paint bubbled. It continues to get worse year by year.

I now want to repaint it, but am worried it will bubble again. Any ideas on what may have caused the bubbles. The paint was was chlorinated rubber.

Tony Sheppard said:
I now want to repaint it, but am worried it will bubble again. Any ideas on what may have caused the bubbles. The paint was was chlorinated rubber.
I can't answer your question but wanted to welcome you to the forum... :)

Members here possess a variety of talents, skills, knowledge and interests. Check back tomorrow and I'm sure you'll have an answer to your question.

Chlorinated rubber paint has a high level of solvent and needs a long time to dry, otherwise it will continue to try to gas off under water. The two most likely causes of the bubbles are improper surface prep or not not enough drying time. Surface prep is most likely the cause.

In order to stop it from happening again, you'll first have to deal with the bubbled painted surface that you have now. You may be able to remove the bad spots with a powerful pressure washer, or it may need to be sand blasted off. Depends on how stubborn it is, but whatever you have to do, do it. The new paint job will only be as good as the surface it's put on.

Afterwards, patch any spots in the surface that need it then do the surface-preparation-three-step: TSP, muriatic acid, then TSP again. TSP will remove oils, acid will remove calcium and other metals and etch the surface, TSP will then wash off any excess acid.

I'll start this post by first saying welcome! Next I will add that I am in no way a fan of painted pools!! I have never seen one last more than two years, no matter how well done. spishex is spot on with his assessment of prep work and cure time though, as that is the only way to get the maximum life from a painted pool.

Save your money and get the pool plastered when you can. Paint is a short time solution (usually done when money is extremely tight or when a homeowner is trying to sell the home and dress up the tired pool quickly and cheaply to sell). Plaster will last you around ten years with proper care, and some of the other products (PebbleTec, Hydrazzo, etc.) can last much longer, but do come at a higher cost. In the end, there is a reason that you don't see too many painted pools!

Again, welcome to the page!

Bruce

Thank you for your responses and your welcome. First two coats were great but my wife did not like the colour so we had the contractor come back later and mix blue and white paint and paint over the blue he had completed a couple of weeks prior. The bubbles only tend to appear in the final coat.

I think I shall get some quotes on plaster. I am in Australia, does anyone have any helpful info on re-coating in plaster?

polyvue said:
Tony Sheppard said:
I shall get some quotes on plaster. I am in Australia, does anyone have any helpful info on re-coating in plaster?

Bump...

Find a good applicator :lol: Don't hire the guy that has a truck, a couple of buckets, a trowel, and picks his "guys" up from the Home Depot (if you have those there!) parking lot after asking "any of you guys ever trowel plaster before?".

The paint will have to be removed, and, depending on the condition of the plaster beneath the paint, the plaster may need to be removed all the way down to the gunite. Sometimes, if it is firmly attached still, it can be abraded and a BondKote applied to accept the new plaster. It is better for the structure if it can be abraded and BondKote'd, as anytime gunite is removed (which it invariably is anytime a pool is chipped) some structural integrity is compromised, especially after multiple re-plasters. The condition of the old plaster will dictate the path that will be taken.

Check licenses, insurance, workers comp, etc. before hiring any contractor. Beware the low bid! Get references and go see some of the pools that the contractor has done, and speak to the customers to see how the job went and if they are happy. Like most things in life, you get what you pay for!

Bruce

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.